Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 8, 2015November 8th, 2015, 12:33 pm EST
Well I'm going back up to Erie for more hot chrome. Leaving daybreak Wednesday and should be at the motel by noon and fishing by 1:00. Plan on fishing all day Thursday and Friday and going home by noon on Saturday. Couldn't get a room for Friday where I'm staying. Found a room in Erie for my possible Friday night stay. Kind of good as it is halfway between the two streams I like to fish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Nov 10, 2015November 10th, 2015, 4:46 am EST
Bring a raincoat and whatever you use that serves as a union suit. It's gonna be chilly/windy in the shale bowling alleys.. Additionally, if you do stay over Friday, there is the potential for enough snow to be problematic until you get to Meadville or so on the way back south and outta here. NWS is calling for the rain to change to all snow Friday night and while it isn't likely to amount to much of anything, we're in that time of the year up here where the usual margin for forecast error can be the difference between five total snow flakes and eight inches.

Just FYI...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 10, 2015November 10th, 2015, 6:48 am EST
Rleep,

Additionally, if you do stay over Friday, there is the potential for enough snow to be problematic

I've been keeping an eye of on both NOAA and Weather Underground ever since I made my motel reservations on Sunday. I have a room for Wednesday and Thursday and another room for Friday in a different motel if I decide to stay over. Based on the report though (I saw the snow forecast and high winds) it is very unlikely I will stay over. More probably I will fish Friday until noon and head for home. If the fishing is as good as last week two full days will be plenty of action.

I have very good cold weather clothing and always bring a mid weight and heavy weight fleece pants and tops with me. I'l be bringing my heavier Gore-Tex rain jacket to protect me from any showers and cold wind.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply