Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 12:06 am EST
Yesterday was my last day of school for a few days, so I hit the stream and celebrated with some steel...

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 7:24 am EST
Beautiful fish Mike! Rainbows are by far my favorite of the lot. What did you catch them on?

Chris.
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 8:59 am EST
Egg Patterns...sucker spawn, glo-bugs...

Here are the results from Day Two:

I landed five with at least five more hook-ups
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 9:00 am EST
Maybe I'll make the drive to Ithica next fall to fish some fingers tribs...I would imagine that it is very similar to the Erie tribs.

-John Gierach
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 12:01 pm EST

Hi Mike
Sounds like you had a good trip,lots of fish in streams now. My friend and myself fished Tuesday with similar results. Great weather lots of fish and good company hard to beat.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Nov 22, 2007November 22nd, 2007, 1:06 am EST
I live here in Erie, so not much of a trip, but yes the break has been nice

-John Gierach
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 23, 2007November 23rd, 2007, 3:25 am EST
Great to see the photos. My brother-in-law went up on the spur of the moment the day before Thanksgiving and brought back some good steelhead stories for the holiday table. John D, glad to hear you're catching some.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Nov 23, 2007November 23rd, 2007, 3:52 pm EST
nice fish!, the coloring of those fish is very nice, they almost look like wild rainbows and not steelhead at all
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Nov 24, 2007November 24th, 2007, 11:23 am EST
They do look very wild... white fin tips, bright pink and red sides and cheeks...

-John Gierach
Davez
Pennsylvania

Davez on Dec 7, 2007December 7th, 2007, 12:17 am EST
grannom...

PSU Behrend, Gannon, Edinboro or Mercyherst?

I lived 3 miles behind PSU Behrend my entire life and went to school there in the late 80s-90s. I always planned my fall schedule so i had a decent break between classes so i could run over to 16 or 20 mile to catch a few steel.

nice fish. pretty nice "resource" to have isn't it?

great job.
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Dec 7, 2007December 7th, 2007, 10:55 am EST
Haha, I wish... High School :) And yes it is a very nice "resource". Elk is only a mile or two away from me.

-John Gierach

Quick Reply