Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 24, 2013October 24th, 2013, 10:36 pm EDT
Here are a couple of Susquehanna River smallmouth caught from early October to mid November. Yep, all were caught when I went over to the Dark side with my spinning rod.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Oct 25, 2013October 25th, 2013, 3:50 am EDT
That bottom Smallmouth looks like it would put a good bend in any rod.

That first picture confuses me! It looks like the "clone stamp" tool was used in various spots. It also looks like it might be a still from a video?

Regardless, nice fish.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 25, 2013October 25th, 2013, 5:53 am EDT
Nice fish, Matt. You look younger without a hat. Not better looking, mind you, just younger.
Bruce
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 25, 2013October 25th, 2013, 8:37 am EDT
AI514 wrote;

"That first picture confuses me! It looks like the "clone stamp" tool was used in various spots. It also looks like it might be a still from a video?"

I'm not sure what a "clone stamp" is but I will admit to using a fuzzy tool to obilterate the background so people can't figure out where the fish was caught. I don't mind sharing some of my success stories with others. And I provide data relative to when and how but I just don't want to see twenty boats set-up all around the waters I fish. It isn't a still from a video.

All those smallies from 17" up just fight like crazy! they might not run like big trout or steelhead but those 19" - 21" smallies easliy fight harder than the 5# - 7# steel I'm catching in the Lake Erie creeks. They just tug and sound, and run some line and just never want to give up. Of course much of their fighting stamina comes from the flow of that riffle. I'm sure if I was able to catch a 5# steelhead in that same water it would spool me in a few seconds and if I couldn't follow it would break my tippet.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 25, 2013October 25th, 2013, 4:31 pm EDT
So true about the fighting qualities of SM. And while the current can help, lake fish are strong too -like hyperactive LM. They hunt a bit diff than LM too, related to their body style and energetics.

Quick Reply