Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jun 11, 2010June 11th, 2010, 3:05 am EDT
I live between Johnstown and Altoona. I would like to harvest a few rock bass to cook for my mom. At 78 years of age I think she deserves some fillets. Can anyone suggest a place to pursue them? I'm not asking for your secret place just an area.
Thanks,
Bruce
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Jun 11, 2010June 11th, 2010, 5:50 am EDT
Any good size stream in PA that has smallmouth will usually have a rock bass population as well. I'm from the area about halfway between Erie and Meadville and don't know your area very well. But if you're willing to drive a little ways, the Juniata anywhere below the junction if the branches is loaded with Rockies. I've also caught a lot of them in the lower Frankstown Br. while fishing for smallmouth.

Stream Rock Bass will often have a number of little icicle-like parasites on their flanks. I once had a biologist tell me these were a very early life stage of a species of fresh water clam and were harmless, even if they look a little funky. If you find them objectionable,just skin the fillet and they'll come away with the skin. I know I've eaten a pile of rock bass in this condition over the years and other than these uncontrollable tic in my left eye (just kidding..) I'm none the worse for it.

In streams where they cohabitate with smallmouth, you'll always find the rock bass in the holding lies where the water is not moving fast enough for the bass. Along very slow banks, in backwaters with downed timber, etc. Those sorts of places. They're also a very gregarious fish. If you catch one out of a spot, chances are good there are at least a dozen more right there.

They fight like a wet gym sock, but they're great eating.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jun 11, 2010June 11th, 2010, 6:02 am EDT
I live between Johnstown and altoona not far from the river. I used to fish the Mount Union area, but I heard some guys say there weren't many rock bass left. I guess it has soemothing do with that ongoing problem with disease.
Bruce
Vinlflyfish
Vinlflyfish's profile picture
northern cambria

Vinlflyfish on Jun 14, 2010June 14th, 2010, 10:14 am EDT
chest creek is a good spot for rock bass and small mouth
trout; a mans best friend

Quick Reply