Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Goose
Goose on Nov 21, 2006November 21st, 2006, 12:01 am EST
Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all who hunt, good luck chasin' bucks.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 21, 2006November 21st, 2006, 1:18 am EST
I'll second Goose's wishes. When I look around the world, I am very thankful to have landed in the good old USA's Northeast. Those poor blokes in England can hardly find a place to fish; in Germany they have to take a test to fish; and in Iraq I'd guess all the trout are on dinner plates, if at all. Any of you PA posters know a good place to midge near Johnstown? I'll be chowing down there, and my brother-in-law and I usually wet a line spring, summer, and fall. I want to get him to try the little flies this time around.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Nov 21, 2006November 21st, 2006, 1:50 am EST
Thanks guys, I'll be the third to give thanks this holiday season. I wish you all health and contempment this season and next.The first day of buck will find me in Erie fishing for chromies. Like I told Gonzo (I truly enjoy your posts and am glad you are willing to share your knowledge with Us) And that goes for most on the forum. A special thanks to Jason for setting the forum up, A grand job you have done.

Warm Regards
JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 21, 2006November 21st, 2006, 7:28 am EST
My thanks to all for the interesting chatter and good fellowship. Jason--thanks for creating this asylum, where our fly-fishing obsession is regarded as sane and normal behavior! Happy Thanksgiving!
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 21, 2006November 21st, 2006, 8:59 am EST
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you too!

I'm thankful for all of you who've been posting here. It's hard to get a new forum off the ground on an Internet where most people already have a "home" forum and the others. You, the first wave of regulars, have made a lot of very unusually high quality posts, and I think that has helped attract a lot of the new signups.

I hope you'll all continue to pass time here during the "tying months" and we'll have an even more exciting level of discussion when trout season comes arond again.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply