Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 26, 2019November 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm EST
Happy Thanksgiving Troutnuts! I'm thankful for many years of sharing ideas and friendship, and hope your holiday is a good one.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 26, 2019November 26th, 2019, 11:56 pm EST
Same to you, and heres to many more years!
Mike.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 27, 2019November 27th, 2019, 6:08 am EST
Well, today is my 56th birthday and I got yet another nice chunk of my Mom's inheritance (R.I.P., my first fishing buddy), so in addition to many other thanks, I have that to be thankful for!! New fly rods on the way, somehow found myself with 3, count 'em, three, 7-weight lines and no 7-weight rods…???

In addition, of course, also to be thankful for:
My daughter Jasmina
My sister and brother-in-law
All of my other family, living and not
My big fat kitty-cat Leo!!
All of my wonderful, generous friends
My great boss and coworkers
Brook, brown, and rainbow trout
Bluegill and other sunfish
Large- and smallmouth bass
Trees and other plant life
Insects
Everything else beautiful and fascinating in nature
Cheap used books!!!
The starry sky at night
Water
Basil pesto
The invention of fly fishing
& my fellow Troutnuts.

Did I leave anything out? HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL TROUTNUTS!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Nov 28, 2019November 28th, 2019, 10:49 am EST
I worked all day today. I'm thankful for a job. I'm thankful for a couple nuts out there to answer my rookie questions. I'm thankful for the ones I caught and the ones that got away. I'm thankful for sons and daughters to take fishing and a wife who values this type of bonding time.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Nov 30, 2019November 30th, 2019, 6:52 am EST
Being thankful everyday keeps things in perspective. I am thankful for everyone in my life including all of you here. I'm not here much but I appreciate all of you. It's another place to go and talk about a passion and get support for that passion. When we share inspiration and passion it helps everyone grow.

Thank you Troutnut and friends.

Quick Reply