Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 23, 2017December 23rd, 2017, 3:02 am EST
Merry Christmas to all my Troutnut friends and acquaintances! I am looking forward to a wonderful year in 2018 and many exciting fishing trips. I'm wishing all of you to have a wonderful Christmas with your immediate and extended families.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 24, 2017December 24th, 2017, 9:19 am EST
You too!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 24, 2017December 24th, 2017, 12:42 pm EST
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
and i hope my Hanukkah friends had a lovely celebration!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 2, 2018January 2nd, 2018, 6:52 am EST
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of my fellow Troutnuts!! Here's wishing you all tight lines and heavy hatches in the season to come. Also, enough warmth for us winter sportspeople to get out and enjoy ourselves! Took the skis and the ice fishing gear all the way down to Troy and back (easy access to trails and my hometown lake is only 3 miles from my Mom's house) and it was just too freakin' cold to use them at all...Here's hoping that last year's heavy precipitation will keep our springs high and running cold (maybe warm right now!) and give us a good trout season this year.

"God bless us, every one!" - Tiny Tim

...or was that, "Tip toe, through the tulips..."?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply