Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 23, 2012December 23rd, 2012, 10:34 am EST
Hey Mr. Libertone,

I know an angler in Michigan that has visited your web page and has made copies of all the flies listed there. These copies are in page protectors and he intends on tying them up...Creating a "Libertone Box" so-to-speak...The plan, you might ask, since the grand old master of the Genesee may not be able to visit West Yellowstone with him next August, these flies will. :)

He can see the Starling & Hare covering the Baetis. How about the Snipe & Pheasant? The Allhair Flymph over gulping hogs on Hebgen...The Copper, Hare & Partridge sunk near a boulder on the Madison sucked in by a monster Bow...Any one of the caddis patterns in the evening on the Madison, Lamar, or the Henry's Fork...

If you have any "secrets" you want to pass on to this angler in Michigan, you can PM me, and I'll see that he gets them...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Dec 23, 2012December 23rd, 2012, 6:51 pm EST
Spence,
All I can say is-"These flies work and work well." Just remember, tie some on dry fly hooks as well as wet fly hooks. Fishing them upstream, similar to dries, in the film or just below is very effective. Fishing them in teams, also works well on the big waters out west.

Check out some of Syl Nemes' techniques, too. Don't forget "flymphs" are effective emerging fly imitations. That's why they often work well upstream.

You MUST visit Jim Slattery when you hit W. Yellowstone. He has been researching ultra violet light and it's importance to fly tying. Check in with him. He might have a fly or two for to try.

If you have ANY specific questions, get in touch.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 24, 2012December 24th, 2012, 6:32 am EST
Mark,

We awoke this morning with a doe and her two yearlings lying out on the grass in the back yard. These are the culprits that like to eat Lisa's lilies out back near the woods...One of the yearlings has this wonderfully dark fur and I'm hoping the neighbors weren't looking out back when Spence was back there in his pajamas and slippers, "Here little deer. I won't hurt you...I don't have a pair of scissors hidden behind my back here, honest! ;)"

Actually we have just a dusting of snow on the ground, the Cardinals are at the suet feeder along with the Black-Capped Chick-a-dees, and the Goldfinches are hogging the thistle feeder...Kind-a looks a "bit" like Christmas...

Merry Christmas mister! We are taking homemade Christmas cookies over to my sisters this afternoon...I know that the extended Libertone Tribe will be having a wonderful get together...Enjoy! Did they talk Pop in to whipping up some Libertone pasta? Yum! :)

I'll keep you in the loop on the fly tying progress...

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply