Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Largemouth from Clark's Marsh ("backyard", actually about a 40-minute walk from my house)
Fat colorful pumpkinseed from the Marsh
First bluegill of the season, from Sylvan Glen Lake in Troy downstate
First crappie and first flyrod fish of any species this season
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 7:28 pm EDT
Here's some of those warmwater fishies I am so fond of, some from downstate and some from around here. None of them are very big but hey, you gotta start somewhere, especially after a long, cold, hard winter.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 7:45 pm EDT
Wow, that's a beast of a pumpkinseed!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011
Well, he was fat, but I've caught bigger. I pulled a 9-incher out of the lake I used to live on in the West Branch, MI area (about an hour west of where I am now), fly fishing too. They bend the rod over pretty good! Almost as pretty as a brookie, too...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 2:21 am EDT
lots of different species for you,s over there, im jealous haha. for me its mainly the browns grayling chub and dace from the river and mainly rainbow and smaller portion of browns from resorvoirs and lakes
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 10:54 am EDT
Flyman, the diversity of fisheries in my part of the world (northern lower Michigan) is just outrageous, and most if not all of them can be caught on flies if you know where, when, how, and what to use. Come visit us sometime and we'll set you up!

Jonathon
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 11:40 am EDT
jmd
thanks for the invite,doubt il make it over there but if i did id take you up on your offer, few pints of stella tonight and wetting a line tommorrow.
cant wait!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 13, 2011May 13th, 2011, 5:16 pm EDT
Hey Flyman, if you can send us some photos of your fishies! We would all like to see what you catch over there "across the pond", trout or otherwise.

Jonathon
Flyman85
Flyman85 on May 16, 2011May 16th, 2011, 3:16 am EDT
alrite jmd?
yeah i will do, i need a new lead for my phone as i only have photos on phone. used to take my digital but it got dropped and smashed so had to replace it for pictures of my kids!
go to - www.yorkshireflyfishing.org.uk
have a look at tanfield and leighton theyre my favourite stillwaters, whoever wrote them is a numpty haha, leighton fishes well to buzzers and tanfield has the best evening hatches i'v ever seen! read my report on TRIP TO LEIGHTON, hope you enjoy and i'll post some pictures as soon as possible

Quick Reply