Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Sep 23, 2015September 23rd, 2015, 6:02 am EDT
A few trees are starting to change and dropping some leaves, the goldenrod is in full bloom. The October caddis and tiny Baetids are around. This guy is starting to color up and ate a #24 thorax dun.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 23, 2015September 23rd, 2015, 9:40 am EDT
Beautiful fish there, Eric! Looks like he's thinking fall too - getting his spawning colors on.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 23, 2015September 23rd, 2015, 12:46 pm EDT
Fine looking fish!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 4:32 am EDT
Oh my!
Smuggler
Smuggler's profile picture
Lebanon, Pa

Smuggler on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 11:53 am EDT
What a fish!
Www.flymphforum.com
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 2:37 pm EDT
Did it come from behind your magic rock on the famous bend, in that wonderful stream you took me to? :) I'll never forget that rainy, Henny filled afternoon, and all those trout who wanted to play along...Oh and the storm where we nearly died! :)

And the beers...Great day of fishing!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Oct 1, 2015October 1st, 2015, 7:34 am EDT
Did it come from behind your magic rock on the famous bend, in that wonderful stream you took me to? :)

Spence

close by, in the neighborhood I suppose you could say, but not from the rock. I actually passed on two fish that were stationed at the rock. Figured I'd leave them alone, let them feel comfortable there. But I'll be back...one was pretty big...

yes Spence you have good karma, I'll go fishing with you anytime.
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 1, 2015October 1st, 2015, 2:15 pm EDT

That's good to know...:) There's always that fish I missed on the Letort...I'm letting him grow up a bit and we'll have to make another pass at him...The next time I'll just look up in the trees and pretend I'm watching the birds and let him take the hook..."Wait till I feel the weight!"

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
RMlytle
RMlytle's profile picture
Connecticut

RMlytle on Oct 5, 2015October 5th, 2015, 2:58 pm EDT
That is a gorgeous brown for sure! CT is getting a good dose of autumn now too, and the fish are starting to get aggressive. If there's anything I love more than dry fly fishing, it's streamer fishing!
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 6, 2015October 6th, 2015, 6:03 am EDT
Spence, do you mean Bruce's Rock?

Did it come from behind your magic rock on the famous bend, in that wonderful stream you took me to? :)

Spence

close by, in the neighborhood I suppose you could say, but not from the rock. I actually passed on two fish that were stationed at the rock. Figured I'd leave them alone, let them feel comfortable there. But I'll be back...one was pretty big...

Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 6, 2015October 6th, 2015, 5:04 pm EDT
:) Hey Bruce. How ya been, mister? Haven't heard from you in awhile...Eaten any mayo covered hotdogs from Sheetz' lately? :)

I was getting a little suspicious about that rock, when I got up next to it, and read a small sign there that said, "It is unlawful to fish within a 10 yard radius of this stone without permission from Eric N...The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission."

That boys got tug!:)

Spence

Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Oct 6, 2015October 6th, 2015, 6:14 pm EDT

Bruce, you don't get a rock named after you just for falling over it and spooking all the fish...I was thinking of you two today as I was feeding rising fish a #18 caddis all within 30' of MY ROCK! I peed on it it's mine...actually a mink has claimed it. there were mink turds on it tonight so maybe it's his rock now...Mink Rock, I like the sound of that.

:)
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 7, 2015October 7th, 2015, 8:03 am EDT

Bruce, you don't get a rock named after you just for falling over it and spooking all the fish...I was thinking of you two today as I was feeding rising fish a #18 caddis all within 30' of MY ROCK! I peed on it it's mine...actually a mink has claimed it. there were mink turds on it tonight so maybe it's his rock now...Mink Rock, I like the sound of that.

:)

I wish you would have thought about me before you went fishing, Eric.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Oct 7, 2015October 7th, 2015, 8:05 am EDT
:) Hey Bruce. How ya been, mister? Haven't heard from you in awhile...Eaten any mayo covered hotdogs from Sheetz' lately? :)

I was getting a little suspicious about that rock, when I got up next to it, and read a small sign there that said, "It is unlawful to fish within a 10 yard radius of this stone without permission from Eric N...The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission."

That boys got tug!:)

Spence

Hot dogs, swiss cheese, and mayo; heaven on a bun. I hope you're well, Spence.

Quick Reply