Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Stanislav has attached these 8 pictures. The message is below.
Isn`t something wrong with tat fish ;)
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 6:36 am EST
Martinlfq asked me to show some brown trouts from my country so here they are if you want more just tell!

Best wishes!
The life is too short to fish a bad fly
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 6:48 am EST
Fascinating, Stanislav. These seem to show the characteristics of the European stream trout (or Fario). Are the fish you pursue mostly wild or from stocking? Are any of these from lakes?
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 7:20 am EST
They are all wild. No one from lake . Look the new three pics especially the third one this fish dosn`t have a mout. All tree are from our high mountain lakes!
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 7:31 am EST
Very cool! I notice especially the red spots on the dorsal fin of the fish with the strange mouth. I've seen these spots on a few populations of wild browns here in PA and suspected that it might be more common in native European strains. Thank you very much.

PS--Do scuds, freshwater shrimp, crayfish, or perhaps snails comprise a significant portion of the diet in the lake where that last fish was caught?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 20, 2007February 20th, 2007, 1:24 pm EST
Wow! Gorgeous photos. If only I had the time and money--Bulgaria would be my next fishing destination. Thanks, Stan.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Stanislav
Bulgaria

Stanislav on Feb 21, 2007February 21st, 2007, 3:21 am EST
For the snails and scuds I` m sure... and will add some mosquito larvaes.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 8:39 am EST
That bottom one is really something! I wonder if the weird shape is due to an early injury or a developmental problem.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 8:45 am EST
I've seen hatchery fish with a similar deformity, but I don't know the cause. (Perhaps David has some thoughts about this.) The red on this fish is so intense that it reminds me of descriptions of the Irish "Gillaroo," which is reported to be a snail eater.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 3:57 pm EST
Oh c'mon, David! That was funny, and Hollywood (like lawyers) is fair game. And I had read that whirling disease could cause cranial deformities. Whatever the cause, it's kind of sad, really--it is a truly striking and beautiful fish otherwise.

Quick Reply