Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 19, 2012March 19th, 2012, 7:20 am EDT
Anyone have a bead on water temperatures associated with the first Baetis emergences?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 19, 2012March 19th, 2012, 9:48 am EDT
Paul-

Assuming you are referring to Baetis tricaudatus, on this page, Jason indicates the 1st brood of the year will emerge after the water temperature reaches 40 degrees.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 19, 2012March 19th, 2012, 10:11 am EDT
Yes. Thank you, Roger.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 19, 2012March 19th, 2012, 11:48 am EDT
Assuming you are referring to Baetis tricaudatus, on this page, Jason indicates the 1st brood of the year will emerge after the water temperature reaches 40 degrees.

So Roger, what you are saying basically, it's over up here in Michigan then...This freakish year has it in the low 80's today...On March 19th! We fish a small pond here starting on April 1st and normally, at this time, we are wondering if there will still be ice on it! We would all bring our Neo's and long-johns...Not this time...There may actually be swimers out there this year.

Everything could really be turned around this season...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 19, 2012March 19th, 2012, 12:15 pm EDT
The first brood begins to emerge when the water temperature is right, but if my experience is typical, baetis continue to hatch over a period of time, sometimes lasting over a month. They are still hatching here, a month after I saw the first ones this year, and fish are very keyed in on the nymphs, and I would think will continue to be even after the duns are hatched out. So, Spence, get out there and fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 19, 2012March 19th, 2012, 12:24 pm EDT
I'm wondering about temperature at initiation -when they first appear. Any records Louis, Spence?
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Mar 20, 2012March 20th, 2012, 3:25 am EDT
Paul
My records indicate (only two streams in one area, but over 15 years of data) that I have seen size 18 olives (assuming B tricaudatus, I'll try to get a photo this year) beginning at 38 degrees.
Around forty, the hatch really starts to get going and I see fish taking duns. The "peak" is around forty two.
But I don't think that temperature has as much influence as the amount of daylight present on these creeks - one is a spring creek and the other is a spring influenced freestone river. The hatch is present during the same time frame each year with a minor (one to two weeks) variation before or after that magical "date". In warmer years (like this one) they start early (late February), but the peak is always between the second and third week of March. In colder years (like last year) they started the first week of March (38 degrees)
Last year, the peak was the third week of March, (41 degrees) and I expect the same this year. When Bruce/Goose/LastChance/Feathers5 and I get back next week, I'll give an update.
Louis- are you in? Shawn?
Another variable is extreme weather such as rapid run-off, but I suspect that has more to do with actual fishing conditions and the lack of witnesses to the event...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 20, 2012March 20th, 2012, 8:07 am EDT
Thanks, Tony. My waters are surface water (and snow pack) sourced and it seems the Baetis get going in April here (at the lowest elevations -5500ft). But...I've not been diligent enough to get a really good bead on them. Thanks, again. I'm around 40F now, but so far no sign of emergers. It's still all midges.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 22, 2012March 22nd, 2012, 4:05 am EDT
Tony, I'm in. Don't know which day yet, but Saturday or Sunday.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply