Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

DOS has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on Mar 15, 2009March 15th, 2009, 11:50 am EDT
I collected these insects from the head waters of a spring creek just south-west of rochester, ny. In this stream i don't believe the mayfly nymphs play a significant role in a trouts diet until they hatch, as they are out numbered 500-1 by scuds on the stream bed and only become distinguishable to trout on their way up to the surface or while in the surface film.

Sorry for the crude macro photos ... I'm still trying to prefect this part of my game...

Andrew Nisbet
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on Mar 15, 2009March 15th, 2009, 12:13 pm EDT
this is what i have so far...

1 Are #1 & #2 the same species? Family Ephemerellidae ... subvaria?
2 Family Ephemerellidae... subvaria? or Fam. Caenis?
3 Family Baetidae ... but what genera? Pseudocloeon?
Andrew Nisbet
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 15, 2009March 15th, 2009, 5:37 pm EDT
Andrew,

I believe your photo labeled #3 to be of a Baetis nymph, probably B. tricaudatus, and your photos labeled 2 & 1 to be of Ephemerella nymphs, both probably E. subvaria.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
DOS
Buffalo, NY

DOS on Mar 17, 2009March 17th, 2009, 10:17 am EDT
Thank you Roger! I hope to have a macro lens and flash Jason suggest soon so I can start taking high quality photos. Just need to save for a couple more pay checks!!
Andrew Nisbet

Quick Reply