Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 3, 2012April 3rd, 2012, 6:12 am EDT
OK looking to replace my waterproof point and shoot. My old one, a Pentax Optio W20, was supprising adept at shooting macro. So does anyone have any experience with the new Pentax Opito WG1 or WG-2, or the Nikon AW 100? Specifically with macro performance?
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 3, 2012April 3rd, 2012, 9:44 pm EDT
I've heard great things about them, Eric. I think what you lose in image quality to the Canon D10 for general use, you gain in a smaller package and the improved diode lighting for macros of bugs when the natural light is less than perfect. The Canon though has optical stabilization which is a big feature for those times when the critters won't stand still long enough to mount the camera on something. I see you can get a new one online for $250 or thereabouts (WG-1) which is a hundred less than last year.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 3, 2012April 3rd, 2012, 9:54 pm EDT
Olympus waterproof cameras are great man. I have a TG-310 and it takes some great shots!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 3, 2012April 3rd, 2012, 10:28 pm EDT
I have a Canon D10, which they recently updated with a newer model, the D20 (not to be confused with the old 20D). The D20 looks pretty nice.

Check out the Panasonic Lumix waterproof cameras, too. The Lumix cameras are an excellent product line, though I don't have one of the waterproof ones.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 4, 2012April 4th, 2012, 4:57 am EDT
Thanks for your input! It is very helpful! My wife has a canon point and shoot but its macro performance is very weak when compared with my old pentax. I'm not too worried about photos other than macro stuff. I guess I'll have to research those cameras a little more. The led's on the pentax specifically for macro makes that camera intriguing, but the cynic in me thinks that that may just be fluff to cover up lack-luster optics. I didn't want to have the spend the money on a new camera, That money could be spent filling up the Tahoe on a weekend fishing excursion...crazy gas prices :(
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 4, 2012April 4th, 2012, 8:01 am EDT
The TG-310 Olympus that i told you i have comes with a macro, super marcro, and super macro LED settings. I am sure the newer one comes with the same setting maybe even better picture. Check her out!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply