Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Male Baetis tricaudatus (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Spinner from Silver Creek in Idaho
Some notes from identifying this specimen under the microscope:

1. The hind wing has three longitudinal veins, but the third is faint, short (about half the length of the wing), and close to the wing margin.
2. Then antenna is brown fading into white at the tip, and the base is ringed with white.
3. The joints of the tarsal segments on the middle and hind leg have fine black markings.

It was also collected in association with a female spinner.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 6, 2020November 6th, 2020, 3:16 pm EST
Does anyone here know any decent resources for identifying adult Baetis? I haven't found much.

This specimen sure seems to nicely fit the original description of Baetis alius adults. But I can't find very precise descriptions (let alone a key) for flavistriga and tricaudatus, both of which are other likely options given the location.

These made for a good fishable hatch on Silver Creek, so it sure would be nice to know what they are.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy