Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 21, 2008January 21st, 2008, 1:42 pm EST

Facing upstream on a warm summer's day

Facing downstream in the dead of winter...longing to fish....

42 days until season opens again.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 21, 2008January 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm EST
Neat photos! We have year round trout fishing (well almost) for many of the streams in PA so if you have the itch it can be scratched. I however hate the cold weather and won't fish until the water temperatures are at least 50 degrees for a week.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 21, 2008January 21st, 2008, 2:44 pm EST
Len,

I wanted to ask you if the fellow on the left was a friend of the fellow on the right since they are so damn close to each other! What's up with that?
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 21, 2008January 21st, 2008, 2:44 pm EST
Len,

I wanted to ask you if the fellow on the left was a friend of the fellow on the right since they are so damn close to each other! What's up with that?
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 21, 2008January 21st, 2008, 2:51 pm EST
father on left...75 years old....
son on right.....40th birthday outing....

Quick Reply