Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 10:14 am EDT
I was just wondering if anyone out there may have a favorite pattern that they could share for Pentagenia robusta? We all know that Spence could use some more flies to jam in his already overcrowded vest...One never knows when this might come in handy! I want to be prepared next time up. Make sure I have everything covered.

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 10:21 am EDT
Why Spence, you did not specify what type of pattern. Is this to be a:

Nymph?
Wet fly?
Emerger?
Dun? or
Spinner?

Be sure you tie each in at least three sizes so you are truly prepared, and to pack a hip flask of your favorite alcoholic beverage to take the ache out of your back from yet another fly box...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 10:43 am EDT
Why Spence, you did not specify what type of pattern. Is this to be a:

Nymph?
Wet fly?
Emerger?
Dun? or
Spinner?

So you have something then??? Holding back are you? I'll take whatever you have. Hell...Maybe Mark has a softhackle to cover it...I'll take that too.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 2:29 pm EDT
I'd never heard of this bug and thought you might of made it up but when I Googled it I got this data.

"Assessment Information [top]

Red List Category & Criteria: Extinct ver 2.3
Year Assessed: 1996
Annotations:
Needs updating
Assessor/s: World Conservation Monitoring Centre
Justification:
Known only from the Ohio River area. The type specimen was collected in 1926 (McCafferty 1994). This riverine species was probably sensitive to changes in river flow and water quality, especially increasing sedimentation.
History:
1996 – Extinct
1994 – Extinct (Groombridge 1994)
1990 – Extinct (IUCN 1990)
1988 – Extinct (IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre 1988)
1986 – Extinct (IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre 1986)
Geographic Range [top]

Countries:
Regionally extinct:
United States (Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio)"
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 4:43 pm EDT
Matt-

Yes, it appears our buddy Spence has been pulling our collective leg.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 7:39 pm EDT
Busted! Damn Matt...Someone has to get up pretty damn early to get something by you, mister! ;)

Beside poking a little fun, as Roger points out, Jonathan was pretty close to figuring out the real pun, or problem...Its Spence...What does a notorious match-the-hatcher do?! Yes the bug seems to be no longer with us, but what if...(?) With all the weight in my vest how would I ever be able to face the boys back at the Lodge if by chance they did reappear and I didn't have them covered?!

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 9:36 pm EDT
Why Spence, you would pull out the Little Grey Bastard and do the best you could! Like Jonathon does with a Female Adams...Naaaaw, that's too easy for you! You'd have to capture a natural by the streamside and pull out your travel tying kit and set up on a picnic table...don't you keep that kit in your vest TOO in case of a previously unknown hatch?? Ah-ha, I see an innovative fly fishing accessory ready to be marketed - the ultralight vise you can carry in your fly vest and clamp on anywhere!!! I'd better get some drawings made up quick and run to the U.S. Patent Office...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 10:14 pm EDT
Roger -

Yes, it appears our buddy Spence has been pulling our collective leg.

Who Spence? Na... Never.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 9, 2011July 9th, 2011, 6:41 am EDT
Who Spence? Na... Never.

Kurt,

When we were little guys my aunt Gwen would sit me down at one end of the coach, cousin Arlie at the other end, and cousin Darel in the chair..."You hoolagins(sp?) can sit here until you can learn how to play with each other without someone crying, bleeding, or needing a ride to a hospital...":)

We are lucky we escaped our boyhood with just the few stitches we received here and there, Arlie's dislocated shoulder, and my front teeth being capped...Boys! We did have some fun!

When they moved up north near Luther and the Pine River and the head waters of the Little Manistee we thought we had died and gone to heaven! Uncle Dee would drop us boys off at some small stream somewhere and leave us for hours...We would splash and wet wade right down the middle of the creek and wonder why we never caught a trout! Hmmm...

When we still get together at reunions or when Arlie & I are at the Joe together the fun hasn't stopped...It's just less physical now...Only feelings getting hurt.

I'll behave myself...Promise. On the serious side, there is so much going on here on this site that interests me and so much here one can learn to have someone playing games and distracting us...I thought this had the potential to be funny, but Matt is a good philosopher and "doubts" everything until he can prove it's true...Good work there Matt...I could just hear him say to himself, "Now wait just a minute here! What you up to bud?!"

Spence

TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jul 10, 2011July 10th, 2011, 2:20 pm EDT
To match extinct species, I like an invivible Borcher's parachute....
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 10, 2011July 10th, 2011, 4:20 pm EDT
Tim... I guess you and I would be the only ones who could find the only fly tyer out there capable of tying an invisible Borcher's to cover an extinct May fly, eh!? That old irasible buddy of yours J.R. from Grayling...Probably even tell us the history of the thing and just where and how to fish it! :)

I was thinking about old Bill Kornecke (sp?) the other day...Remember him? Now there was Mr. Irasible! His is a story that somehow needs to be told someday! Someone needs to sneek him in to a short story or something.

When you talk to Jerry about this invisible fly order he probably won't do it unless we order a few dozen and I bet he could crank them out in a moment or two...You make sure you tell him I'm not looking for any of those "artsy-crafty" kind of flies...Just something, though invisible, will float and I won't have a hard time seeing it on the water...

Spence

Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 15, 2011July 15th, 2011, 6:39 am EDT
(Livescience.com) After months of scouring remote forests in Borneo, researchers spotted three rainbow toads up a tree, snapping the first-ever photographs of this elusive amphibian species that hadn't been seen for 87 years, scientists announced July 13.

Last seen in 1924, the Bornean rainbow toad (Ansonia latidisca) had been listed as one of the world's top 10 most wanted lost frogs, or those that hadn't been seen in at least a decade.

Hmmm...Boys. Better get started on those flies to cover good old Pentagenia robusta...Anything with "robusta" in its name should be tuff enough to be still hanging around out there, somewhere, eh...(?) ;)

Quick Reply