Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dgt5411
NC

Dgt5411 on Feb 10, 2020February 10th, 2020, 11:43 pm EST
Hi. I'm new to this forum so not sure where to post this question. It seems to me that all the fly shops would offer barbless flies, but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone out there know where to purchase barbless flies?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 11, 2020February 11th, 2020, 2:08 am EST
I googled "barbless flies for sale" and this was the first place that came up. I'm sure there are others: https://www.bigyflyco.com/items/Flies/Barbless/list.htm

The link should work now.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 11, 2020February 11th, 2020, 8:54 am EST
I've seen some fly shops selling barbless flies. However the majority of fly shops stock barbed flies. Most customers, myself included, always fish barbed flies, unless mandated to do otherwise by regulations on a stream I am fishing. If barbed flies are an issue for you go buy a good pair of needle nose pliers and it is a simple matter to pinch the barb down completely.

Maybe "most customers" should be written "many customers". I would bet you a dozen of my barbed flies that if you asked fifty fly fishers what type of flies would most likely be found in their fly boxes, barbed or barbless, invariably the answer will be barbed.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 11, 2020February 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm EST
You can always pinch the barbs on your flies with your hemostats or small needle pliers, which is what I do to hooks I buy that aren't barbless.
Mike.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 12, 2020February 12th, 2020, 4:58 am EST
Mike, I never heard back from you after sending the email with the Paralep emerger pictures?
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 13, 2020February 13th, 2020, 9:51 am EST
Matt, Im sorry, I did send a message, but this old laptop or this old man is not working at 100 %. I swear I just typed in 100 and all of the sudden this thing went to my email page. The pictures were great and I have tied a bunch using your suggestions. They look pretty cool I might add!
Thanks again, Mike.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 14, 2020February 14th, 2020, 5:58 am EST
Mike,

Matt, Im sorry, I did send a message

Never received it. Glad you liked the pictures and were able to tie some of the flies. I also tie a lovely dun. #18, with stripped peacock herl body, over which I wrap XF gold wire. The wings are two dun CDC tips, thorax in Adams grey beaver, hackle is 2 - 3 turns of Hoffman #1 dun saddle.

I'll email some pictures.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 14, 2020February 14th, 2020, 7:57 am EST
Matt, please do,im going to get some more trout hunter cdc from flyfishfood. God, now im going to add some stripped peacock herl, what color on the peacock herls Matt? These are something I have been meaning to get just want to make sure im getting colors that work!
Mike.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 14, 2020February 14th, 2020, 8:13 am EST
AS a side note, I went fishing Tuesday up north. I fished the recon euro 10 ft. 3 wt, with troutbittens monorig. Let first say I need to invest in some good insulated understuff! It was 16 degrees when I started fishing, and on this river you just don't get out of the water anywhere. The folks who have fished the S.branch of the ausable know of what I speak! Anyways, froze my you you know what off, my feet have never been that cold! But!!! fishing with a jiggy euro streamer, which I put right in a log jam, and jigged maybe two times, then all hell broke loose! This was only a few feet away, and frozen hands, and reel+ 18 inch brown trout, and 5x tippet, now were having some fun!I cant say enough about the recon rod, its greaaat! I could not believe I actually got that fish out of the cover and landed it. I have some picks and im trying to figure that out. Went to another river later in the day and got 4 more browns just smaller. I will say, im tired of winter, my little front wheel drive equinox sucks in snow, so please some spring time weather would be nice.
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 14, 2020February 14th, 2020, 9:29 am EST
Well done, Mike!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 14, 2020February 14th, 2020, 2:11 pm EST
Pictures of duns with text sent via email.

Quick Reply