Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionYellow Breeches
Dates FishedApril 06
Time of Day1:30 - 4:30
Fish CaughtLanded 13, lost 4, missed 4
Conditions & Hatches#18 tan caddis followed by Hendricksons and Red Quills

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 6, 2016April 6th, 2016, 4:20 pm EDT
Fish just started to rise when I was getting dressed. Little #18 tan caddis first followed by Hendricksons and some Red Quills. Plenty of splashy rises by 2:00. Caught fish on tan emergent pupa, #16 BH flashback PT, and both the RQ and the Hendrickson. Started off with 4X but when I went to 5X fish ate much better. Not a blanket hatch but enough mayflies to get the fish looking up. Quite easy. If it hadn't been so windy probably would of caught another dozen. Nothing over 12". But still fun and on dries. Forecast for Thursday is steady rain up to 1/2".
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 6, 2016April 6th, 2016, 6:06 pm EDT
Wonderful Matt, the weather looks decent from what I could see in the photo. Our opener here in Michigan is still a few weeks off, but the weather is horrible here. Please continue to post pics, at least we dream about some decent fishing here.

Thanks, Mike.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 6, 2016April 6th, 2016, 9:07 pm EDT
The river was very clear and somewhat low for April 06. We had a low snow pack year with almost all the snow coming in January and not many all day rain events.

It was pretty cold and windy and I wore a long sleeve UA shirt, a woolen shirt, a 300 weight fleece pullover, and one of my wading jackets to break the wind. I had the hood up half the time and wore fingerless gloves all day.

I don't know if it was the cold and windy conditions or my aging or a combination of both but after four hours I was cold and very tired. I came home had a light dinner, watched a little TV and went to bed at 8:30. Got up at 12:30 (now) and made myself a cup of hot tea and feel 100% better.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 7, 2016April 7th, 2016, 8:19 am EDT
Well done, Matt! As Mike said, gonna be a while for us here in MI - still looking at 6" of wet snow, with a few more inches due and nothing over the 40s F for the next week or so...hopefully by our opener (April 30th) things will be a bit better.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 7, 2016April 7th, 2016, 7:13 pm EDT
I'm glad I was able to fish yesterday. It rained hard today from 7:00 to about noon and the stream went from 250 cfs to a bit over 500 cfs. I drove over to look at it and would of fished if it was just higher but it was stained when I arrived and down right dirty when I left 45 minutes later. It might be fishable by Saturday but our forecast is for very cold weather with possibly of show showers on Saturday and temperatures in the 30's on Sunday. Looks like I won't be fishing again until later next week.

Quick Reply