Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LenH
driftless area

LenH on Mar 5, 2008March 5th, 2008, 8:55 am EST
Well.....

It's Wednesday and I looked at the weather report and its supposed to snow all day here.

It was about 11:30am and I am looking out my picture window and it is still snowing like crazy....

When the sun peeks out and illuminates the hard snow.

I took it as a sign to get off my butt and go see my 80 year old mother. I usually make the 45 minute trek every Wednesday and see how she is doing.

There is lots of good trout water on the way there.

I stopped here.

The snow is knee deep and it is snowing so hard I thought.....

NOT gonna hit my favorite hole.

Thought....... I am by myself and it is snowing so hard, even if i caught a decent trout i couldn't take a photo of the fish because it might ruin my camera.

I snapped this out my vehicle window.

I viewed it on my camera for a while and the urge overtook me...

Out I went across the field....leaving my camera behind.

Second cast into my favorite hole i was rewarded with a very fat female brown.

She took quite a while to land and was large.

The snow was coming down hard.......
I named her Suzy...
I told her i would be back again when it wasn't snowing...
The fish swam away....
I took no photo......
It felt good leaving the camera in the vehicle............................

Quick Reply