Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Mar 16, 2011March 16th, 2011, 9:00 am EDT
As the dwindling remains of winter’s white wonderland slowly succumbs to the spring sun’s glare, rejuvenation swells into the watery habitat, and both flora and fauna emerge, once again, from hibernation’s hiding place. The mind and heart of the fly fisherman is uplifted on the new season, with warm felt expectation of tomorrow’s miracles, as they unfold into the future of day’s past memories. Season’s past will once again be reshaped, as the additions of days to come will be collected and stored as fodder, for the distant winter of yet to come. Picking up where we last left off, new experiences will meld with old, expanding and enriching our knowledge and self awareness. A renewed eye in curiosity may result in the better understanding of the winged forms with which we so desire to emulate at the vise, and increase in expectation nature’s beauty brought to hand. Tying techniques, presentation, equipment repair or replacement, and changes to the tried and true status quo, may emerge into new found wonder. That oh so familiar river, stream or creek, may just reveal a new secret if we grasp the season’s burgeoning potential and carry it forward onto every next cast. Not unlike the slow unfolding petals of the flower’s march to bloom, spring offers us the renewed potential to escape our shackles anew. We are all smitten with life’s uncertainties as we traverse its twists and turns, but with each emerging spring, may the fisherman in us bloom.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Mar 16, 2011March 16th, 2011, 12:43 pm EDT
I enjoyed your post a lot- very well written.

Spring has sprung here in my neck of the woods now. At least kind of... Sunday night we got 3" of wet snow, but today the temperature got up to 70 and tommorow it's supposed to get near 80 degrees. These crazy temperature swings must have gotten the fish a little confused-and anyway all the streams are really high with the sudden snow-melt. Still, this is about my favorite time of the year, and it's only gonna get better.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply