Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

A hairy mayfly nymph. This gangly, odd-looking nymph is from the rare species Ephemerella septentrionalis

Artistic view of a Male Penelomax septentrionalis (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Delaware River in New York
This is surely the most distinctive-looking species in Ephemerellidae. I like the rugged, spindly look. If mayflies made movies, Penelomax septentrionalis would probably play the supervillain.

Maybe I should take a break and get something to eat.
Earlfishman
Earlfishman on May 19, 2007May 19th, 2007, 8:07 am EDT
Jason,

The underwater photos are unreal. What sort of lens are you using on that camera? It is just now occuring to me to ask how many of your pictures on this site are taken through a scope and how many are taken with just a camera?

Earl
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 19, 2007May 19th, 2007, 8:56 am EDT
Jason, these are the first photos of septentrionalis I've seen--very cool! I've been meaning to discuss this species with Greg Hoover, but I probably won't have a chance to do that until mid-June. I'll be sure to share whatever I learn.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 19, 2007May 19th, 2007, 3:14 pm EDT
Almost all my photos are taken without a microscope, but I do have a very specialized macro photography setup. The "underwater" photos in specimens like this one are actually not underwater, but staged in a tiny aquarium I created to take more natural-looking pictures than my usual white-background ones.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply