Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Redband
Central Oregon

Redband on Feb 9, 2007February 9th, 2007, 11:11 am EST
I am new here and see there is a lot of East or Midwest participants, I am enjoying your site and would like to just say hi, and if your planning anything in the west I would be happy to discuss the Deschutes river for trout or steelhead. have a nice day.
Every Day of work is one day closer to retirement.
Sirhoops23
Bolivar, MO

Sirhoops23 on Feb 10, 2007February 10th, 2007, 7:54 am EST
I am from the midwest. I live in Missouri and fish a lot at trout parks and the many rivers and occasionally get down to the White in Arkansas.
JJ
JJ
Sirhoops23
Bolivar, MO

Sirhoops23 on Feb 10, 2007February 10th, 2007, 9:02 am EST
Ok so my reply probably didn't make much sense. I thought you were asking if there were any midwest fisherman on. sorry about that.
JJ
JJ
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 10, 2007February 10th, 2007, 5:10 pm EST
We've definitely got some west coast members here, like Taxon. Some others are in the eastern Rockies, too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Sirhoops23
Bolivar, MO

Sirhoops23 on Feb 13, 2007February 13th, 2007, 2:23 am EST
I would love to hear from anyone who has advice or tips for nymphing with split shots. ie placement on tippet types(brands) etc. just hear from ya'll about it.
His
jj
JJ
Brett
Martinsburg, WV

Brett on Feb 13, 2007February 13th, 2007, 3:57 am EST
To weight, or not to weight... In regards to split-shot (or the twiston lead strips) I guess there are a couple of schools of thought. 1.) Some prefer to add weight to the leader just above the tippet attachment point so as not to decrease the already light breaking strength on the tippet. 2.) Some prefer to just go with heavier tippet (4X instead of 5X) and add weight close to the fly - say 8 inches or so above it. 3.) Some who use split-shot commonly prefer an unweighted nymph, specualting that it may tumble and move more freely without added weight on the hook. 4.) Some prefer to just add significant weight to the hook (building in tungsten or other shot) so that the fly, itself, is bouncing on the bottom. I've done a little of all of those. Gonzo has some ingenious patterns that incororate much weight into the fly itself (especially darter and sculpin patterns, since these types of fish have no air bladders and reside almost totally on the bottom.) Personally, when dealing with high, fast water (spring runoff, deep runs) I feel the ability to add or remove varying sizes of split shot offers me the best ability to bounce my flies on the bottom without overweighting to the point of hang-ups on every cast.
Brett
Novice entomologist, fly-tyer and photographer
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 14, 2007February 14th, 2007, 4:35 am EST
Art Scheck also suggests this technique for nymphing. It's a new one for me. Thanks.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Sirhoops23
Bolivar, MO

Sirhoops23 on Feb 16, 2007February 16th, 2007, 6:46 am EST
Great stuff ya'll thanks for the input. As you know at this time of year a lot more time is spent thinking about fishing than actually fishing unfortunatly.
His
jj
JJ

Quick Reply