Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Jun 29, 2009June 29th, 2009, 7:24 am EDT
I live in the Twin Cities area. According to some books MN and WI have more miles of trout water than any other state. Granted, not trophy trout water, but there are many many streams and rivers. I work for a smart growing company that is openning markets all over. My family has a great opportunity to relocate. Right now, I am looking at Baltimore and Seattle and trout fishing has not yet been a factor. Which US city/metro area would you choose, if you had to, to relocate, or stay in, for trout water in the vicinity...say within a few hours of the area?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 29, 2009June 29th, 2009, 9:16 am EDT
Eric-

The Seattle area is a great place to live. You wouldn't find trout fishing here rivaling that in Montana, but I doubt that anywhere else has the diversity of fly fishing opportunity found here, and some of that diversity is available every month of the year.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Teddyp
North Carolina

Teddyp on Jun 29, 2009June 29th, 2009, 9:52 am EDT
I say anywhere that there are trout readily available is pretty damn good! I lived in eastern NC for years and it was tough to get away and fish, and now I can fish every weekend for trout. Can't beat it.
Ted
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 29, 2009June 29th, 2009, 10:49 am EDT
IMHO, there is no way I would move to Baltimore! I would consider Seattle way before any where on the East Coast. I don't like crowds on the trout streams and snobby trout. When they open a branch in Last Chance, Idaho jump on it if you are a true troutnut. NW Wisc. ain't too bad either. :-)
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jun 29, 2009June 29th, 2009, 3:56 pm EDT
Eric--of those two, Baltimore for sure. easy to get in and out of: one hour will get you to the Gunpowder, three to western MD and lots of the good PA water. long/endless fly fishing seasons, mild winters, salt water fishing for variety in both Chesepeake Bay and the Atlantic--the list goes on and on. oh, and sunshine...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Jun 30, 2009June 30th, 2009, 10:03 am EDT
I'd vote for Baltimore as well. At least there, you would be within hailing distance of a fair number of streams somewhat reminiscent of where you are now, albeit with about 300% more pressure. There are also the salt opportunities and excellent river fishing for smallmouth bass within a couple hours. Not to mention pretty good proximity to some of the better smaller stream freestone fishing along the Appalachian spine.

I think though the optimal solution would be to get the powers that be to send you to LaCrosse or somewhere near it..:). Frankly, in either locale you've floated for consideration, wild trout opportunities are going to be less than where you are now....
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 30, 2009June 30th, 2009, 11:49 am EDT
This is a pretty useful discussion topic, so I'd just like to open it up a bit more, beyond considering just Seattle and Baltimore.

Overall, what do you think are the best cities in the US for proximity to trout fishing?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Jun 30, 2009June 30th, 2009, 12:01 pm EDT
Thanks all. Yes, Jason, I was hoping for a wider discussion as well. I am surprised to hear more for Baltimore.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 30, 2009June 30th, 2009, 12:47 pm EDT
Gaylord, Michigan! Within striking distance of: the
AuSable, the Manistee, the Pigeon, the Black, the Sturgeon, the Maple...need I go on?? Not to mention lakes full of panfish, bass (BOTH kinds!), northern pike, etc., plus salmon & steelhead runs...

BEAT THAT, people!

Jonathon

No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 1, 2009July 1st, 2009, 4:50 am EDT
Bingamton, NY or Scranton, PA. The Delaware is nearby. Nuff said.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 1, 2009July 1st, 2009, 5:55 am EDT
Yea, Baltimore is a great location. Lots of wild trout on the Gunpowder. Many other streams in western MD and West Virginia. How can you beat the fabled limestone streams and rivers of central PA?? Letort, Yellow Breeches, Spruce Creek and many others.

Plus you are close enough to metro areas to find good work. The Catskills are over rated and heavily fished.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jul 1, 2009July 1st, 2009, 6:05 am EDT
Interesting that only Seattle has turned up in the west. Few western readers? While the distances are further in the west the roads are fairly straight and the speed limits are high. If you pick 3 hours from Denver you have the Poudre, Big Thompson, Boulder Creek, South Platte, and its many forks and reservoirs, the Arkansas, and much of the Colorado, and Blue. You can even make the lower Roaring Fork on a good day. Many isolated mountain lakes are within reach in that time frame as well as miles and miles of small streams. And if you want short trips there is some salmonid stocking and carry over in the metro Denver reservoirs which also have all the warmwater exotic eastern species you are used to (walleye, whippers, bass, bluegill, perch, northerns, muskie, etc) - often in trophy size. In the last several years some folks have taken a fancy to freshwater bonefish (where I grew up they called them bugle mouth bass) on the rod of your choice. They can be real selective but the nice thing is they are often located within walking distance of many pubs to ease the frustration.
The season most places runs all year and in several of the reservoir releases the water is open and sunny 40+ days are common.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 1, 2009July 1st, 2009, 3:15 pm EDT
Good one Matt; I get your point.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Cdcaddis18
Huntington, PA

Cdcaddis18 on Jul 2, 2009July 2nd, 2009, 7:08 am EDT
Okay if you want to know a great city with many trout opportunities, within two hours, it will be difficult to find any better than Bozeman, MT. Bozeman also has lots of modern convienances, shopping, schools, restaurants, an airport, and lots of potential for employment.

East Gallatin
Gallatin
Thompson & Benhart spring creeks
Madison
Yellowstone
DePuy's Spring
Armstrong Spring
Nelson's Spring
Beaverhead
Ruby

These are only the main rivers within two hours of Bozeman - it does not address any of the hundreds of little creeks and streams with lots of wild brown and rainbows.
GoofusBug
GoofusBug on Jul 2, 2009July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 am EDT
Madison WI would have to be in the team photo
TroutHooker
Oregon

TroutHooker on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 10:35 am EDT
There's a good reason why you won't hear from the northwest guys when it comes to this topic.
accepts beer for trout fishing tips
but not for trout habitat
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Jul 5, 2009July 5th, 2009, 3:17 pm EDT
There are no fish to be caught on the west coast. The fly fishing magazines have lead you all on. A conspiracy of titanic proportions, if you like catching fish please stick to the east coast.
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Sep 16, 2010September 16th, 2010, 1:14 pm EDT
After last week's trip, fishing/camping within 3 1/2" hours from Minneapolis, I've decided to stay put.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Sep 17, 2010September 17th, 2010, 2:25 am EDT
Missoula Montana. I've spent a lot of time fishing around there, and there just isn't any better trout fishing in the lower 48 than you'll find around there. The Clark Fork is good right in town, the Blackfoot and Bitterroot are only a short drive, and there are hundreds of other mountain streams in the area that fish very well for cutties. There really is no end to the trout fishing opportunities in that area.

I also have to give a nod to the area around Rolla, Missouri. Is it the best place in the U.S for trout fishing? Heck no, not even close. But there is quite a bit of really awesome wild rainbow trout fishing within 15-20 minutes of town.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Sep 17, 2010September 17th, 2010, 3:53 am EDT
Well i have to say that i have been to a lot of different cities with a lot of different waters around them. Currently im in Missoula, MT and i have to admit that as far as relativity to great water being very close its a good one. Bozeman like caddis said is also hard to beat. But shit there are so many places its to hard to pick. Because everyone adapts that "perfect area" close to heart and it could and probably will be totally different from anothers opinion. So, theres to many and they're all top choices to different people.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply