Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 14, 2020November 14th, 2020, 4:08 am EST
I went out yesterday as the weather was forecast to be 60 degrees by 3:00. I went out on Tuesday but it was so windy I had to leave after about two hours. I need to get a stern anchor in addition to the bow anchor to keep the bow being blown up river or just spinning on the tether.

I boated seven beasts in four hours plus a big Channel catfish of 23"/24". All the bass were 18" - 21.5". In my way of thinking a 21.5" smallmouth is as rare as a 25" wild trout. They were all very strong and fought very hard, running line on a tight drag.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 14, 2020November 14th, 2020, 5:31 am EST
I saw those on Facebook. Awesome bass! What techniques are you using to chase big smallies at this time of year?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 14, 2020November 14th, 2020, 6:31 am EST
Hi Jason,

It is another of my secrets that I will be taking to my grave with me. I used to be so paranoid someone would figure out where I was that I would fudge the entire background with an editing tool. Now I figure they might kind of figure out what bridge it is but it is a piece of water about an acre in diameter and if you don't know the lay of the bottom and where the ledges and holes are they will just be wasting time. I will PM you.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 14, 2020November 14th, 2020, 7:38 am EST
Awesome Matt! I have not spent much time on smallmouths here in Michigan lately, I hope to remedy that next summer.
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 16, 2020November 16th, 2020, 8:36 am EST
Nice work, Matt.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 16, 2020November 16th, 2020, 12:06 pm EST
It was great to be out - I've never had the boat out after late October. Friday was forecast to warm up by 2:00 so I went out at noon. Quite windy at first but still hooking up. Seven really big bass in just four hours is pretty amazing. In my mind a 21.5" smallmouth is akin to catching a 25" trout. It is very rare.

Quick Reply