Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sekoutdoors
NE Montana

Sekoutdoors on Aug 14, 2009August 14th, 2009, 5:13 pm EDT
As a new fly angler I have so much to report! Great fishing, the trout and everything else, just about everything is hot it seems right now. President and weather screwed me today, but such as life! Got a new fly rod and put away the buggy whip combo I bought to start with and picked up some neat stuff watching others. I had over thirty strikes today, but still need to learn about hook sets, as I was thinking bass and jerked it away from them! I will post some pics of the area's when I get home. Going to hit West Yellowstone area Saturday so will let you know how that goes when I can. Again, any advice for a new guy is more than welcome!
Joe

Quick Reply