Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Mar 31, 2008March 31st, 2008, 12:50 pm EDT

When your floating or drifting what does the law require. For New York and Penna. I have a small Waster Master raft and I would like to have every thing ready.
I didn't want to high-jack that other thread.

john

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Apr 1, 2008April 1st, 2008, 7:49 am EDT
If you have a motor, even if its an electric, the boat needs to be registered.
You need life jackets.
Drift boats under 7 meters are exempt from lighting requirements provided you do not anchor in a channel.
It is a good idea to have an all around light at night so others do not ram you in the dark, and it can get really dark.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Apr 1, 2008April 1st, 2008, 8:24 am EDT
John,
I'll have to check my regs book but I believe you are required to have a liscense or valid launch permit any time you launce a boat (even a belly boat) from any state owned/operated launch or on any state water.
Further you must have an appropriate floatation device for every passenger and I believe children under 12 must wear a PFD at all times.

John

P.S. I think there is a summary of basic boating regs in the book that comes with your fishing liscense, at least for PA.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 1, 2008April 1st, 2008, 1:41 pm EDT
John hit the nail on the head. If you use a PA access or ramp to put in and/or take-out the boat needs to be registered. The registration for a unpowered boat is different from that of a powered boat. I put a 50# electric on my Hyde and needed a new type of regsitration. If you put in and take out on private property you don't need a registration. You always need PFD's for as many people are in your boat. You can get a "Use Permit" for a kayak or pontoon boat by going to the PFBC website and printing the application and mailing it in with your $2.00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Apr 2, 2008April 2nd, 2008, 3:48 am EDT
tanks Guys

I called the fish comm and they said I needed a Launch permit and a life Jacket I can also go to the local lake permit (Lake Arthur)which in a DCNR State Park. Out west I thought I needed a whistle but I ask the officer and he said I did'nt need one for PA.

Regards

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Apr 2, 2008April 2nd, 2008, 8:51 am EDT
Was looking at the PA boating access map after my post last night according to that a vessel (regardless of powered or not) must be liscensed/permitted regardless of the launch site. I think is primarily for those places where there are private holdings on a river or lake i.e. the Delaware, Lehigh, Susky......ect. My guess is this would be to ease the enforcement side of things.
I'm not sure if this has been enacted or not but there was a proposal requiring everyone to wear a PFD during "cold water" months (basically Sept-May)in any vessel smaller than 12'.
Again check with your local WCO.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 4, 2008April 4th, 2008, 4:26 am EDT
JAD,

Since the Delaware River from Hancock downstream to at least Callicoon is a federal waterway and patrolled by federal wardens you must have a sound emitting instrument when you float the Delaware. Most guys use a whistle but you could also use one of those little air horns that come with a little catridge of CO2.

I learned the hard way about eight years ago when I was floating in my kayak and had stopped to fish. A warden came down and asked to see my whistle. I didn't have one and was fined.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 4, 2008April 4th, 2008, 11:19 am EDT
Thanks for this post, Matt. I've never had a whistle on me on the big D. I'll get one and put it in my boat box before I head up the next time.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply