Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fishhook
South Korea

Fishhook on Jul 24, 2008July 24th, 2008, 11:37 am EDT
Hi Gang,

I am curious to know how one goes about getting certified as a casting coach and getting certified to guide people out on the streams. This is a difficult task for me as I am stationed in Korea and am looking to see what I need to do from this end as it pertains to the legal and Host country requirements. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate your time and assistance in advance.

V/R
Bob Soska
Best friend's Site:
Mystic Fly Rods - Premium rods without the premium price tag!
www.mysticoutdoors.com
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Jul 24, 2008July 24th, 2008, 1:55 pm EDT
Google FFF which stands for the Federation of Fly Fishermen.
Follow links to Instructor Qualification.
First off you must be able to cast 75 feet using a 9' rod no
heavier than 6 weight.
That's for openers.
Good luck in your new journey.
Exams are held at the major fly fishing shows.
They really want you to pass.
Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Fishhook
South Korea

Fishhook on Jul 24, 2008July 24th, 2008, 3:29 pm EDT
Hi Dick,

I really appreciate that. I have the rods and will give it a shot. I am trying to get certified so we can have a guy on Penn to help others and to increase my credibility ratings.

V/R
Bob Soska
Best friend's Site:
www.mysticoutdoors.com
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jul 26, 2008July 26th, 2008, 2:16 am EDT
Hi Fishhook,
The casting instructor part has been covered by Flybyknight, however, being a guide is a little different than being a casting instructor. I know that in New York State, where I live, you must obtain a license in order to guide. This requires you have specific training in certain areas such as first-aid, water rescue, CPR, etc. Don't know anything about Korea or what they'd require. I'd start by getting in touch with authorities.

Every place is different. When I was stationed in Germany, fishing was a bit different. You needed a fishing license, but also a day permit from the landowner who owned the fishing rights to the section of river or stream you wanted to fish. A little more involved, for sure, to get in a days fishing, but often well worth the effort.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Fishhook
South Korea

Fishhook on Jul 26, 2008July 26th, 2008, 9:22 pm EDT
Hi Mark,

I appreciate the advice. I am alrady leaning n those directions and have friend that runs the local Red Cross so I can get certitifed. I will keep everyone posted. MY end goal is to help both the fishing community, the Host Nation and make it possible for others to come here and catch some really unque fish.

In closing, I appreciate the helping hand. Bwe ll and happy fishing.

V/R
Bob Soska
Best friend's Site:
www.mysticoutdoors.com

Quick Reply