Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Teri
Banned
Ipswich

Teri on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 10:32 pm EDT
deleted -- ban coming
some idiot who thought he could vandalize my forum
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 14, 2008March 14th, 2008, 3:17 am EDT
What in the world is this post referring to? Maybe our Host needs to review this posting. Check out the bio of the poster.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Mar 14, 2008March 14th, 2008, 4:54 am EDT
?????
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Mar 14, 2008March 14th, 2008, 1:25 pm EDT
"Maybe our Host needs to review this posting."

I agree, this post may be extremely offensive to fellow posters...yeah, right...

...And then, maybe our Host(with a capital "H") can warm up our bottles and tuck us in....me sleepy...

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 14, 2008March 14th, 2008, 2:03 pm EDT
It surely is not offensive to me it just doesn't appear to be germane for the overall content of this fly fishing/entomology web site. Your right the "H" should of been a small case character.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 15, 2008March 15th, 2008, 8:06 am EDT
I'm glad Jason keeps crap like this off the board. I've seen boards littered with it to the degree one can't find legitimate posts. Stick it to 'em, Jason.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 15, 2008March 15th, 2008, 9:30 am EDT
Agreed, Louis. Obviously we have intelligent enough members that it's not the content that's offensive (it's just stupid), but the hijacking IS offensive. Jason does a really nice job of keeping these idiots off his board, a small thing that helps make this board a cut above (or several cuts above) others. Good going, Jason.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Mar 15, 2008March 15th, 2008, 2:17 pm EDT
Jason's actions give the same satisfaction that results from taking the "Goof Off Graffiti Remover" to some street signs and benches in the neighborhood. thanks for sending the Potty Poster packing!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply