Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 26, 2015September 26th, 2015, 5:10 pm EDT
Has anyone heard from Kurt since the N. Cal. wildfires? Perhaps he's just on an extended fishing trip, but it's not like him to ignore a PM for (6) days. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 2:30 am EDT
Haven't heard from him. Hope everything's ok there!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 4:47 am EDT
Oh my. I was run out of my home for more than a month (mid-post here on Troutnut) a few years ago. When I came back half my neighbors had burned out. Wishing you luck and most of all safety, Kurt.

Just checked my email contacts and, oddly, I don't find him.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 6:37 am EDT
Six days is nothing! I've sent him PM's that he does not read for weeks.

Here is what he wrote to me back in late August in response to a PM;

Sorry for getting back so late! First time I've signed in this month and had no idea your PMs were there.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 9:29 am EDT
He's probably fishing, in a fireproof suit.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 2:55 pm EDT
His probably up near Idaho fishing...He's originally from up that way...Has a brother, nephew, etc up there.

He gets quiet when he's up there fishing...Little internet connection.

Hope all is well!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 27, 2015September 27th, 2015, 6:58 pm EDT
Spence,

Ah yes, that rings a bell.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 6:07 pm EDT
Yeah, he's mentioned to me that he disappears at times when the fishing gets hot. Pun intended.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 6:55 pm EDT
Maybe he's just tired of hearing Spence drone on end-less-ly...He needed a respite. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 28, 2015September 28th, 2015, 9:33 pm EDT
Or, perhaps he simply got tired of being asked for an opinion when I get seriously stumped. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 23, 2015November 23rd, 2015, 4:26 pm EST
Received the following message from Kurt this morning:

Sorry for not responding sooner! Everything is fine with me, it's just been a very busy Fall! I'll be around more this Winter to have fun with bugs and I hope all is well with you also.

Best, Kurt
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Nov 23, 2015November 23rd, 2015, 5:09 pm EST
Geez guys, sorry... I'm humbled to know there was so much concern... This thread was up and down before I ever saw it. The fishing In ID and MT was pretty busy in late September... It's the only excuse I have (pretty good one, though). Rest assured that if anything happened to me, somebody will let you know.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 23, 2015November 23rd, 2015, 6:34 pm EST
Thanks for the update Kurt, great to have you back!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Nov 23, 2015November 23rd, 2015, 6:59 pm EST
Thanks, Jason!

Also rest assured that I never shirked my duties as editor. With limited access to the internet in the wilds of ID/MT, I was checking content when I could instead of posting, usually without logging in as well. Other than a few infomercials to take care of, saw no problems - so thought I didn't need to. Lesson learned... :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 24, 2015November 24th, 2015, 10:04 am EST
So if the fishing was so busy, Kurt, tell us about it!!

Welcome back!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Nov 25, 2015November 25th, 2015, 8:05 am EST
The fishing sucks out here, Jon. Everybody stay home...:)
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 30, 2015November 30th, 2015, 2:28 pm EST
Well, my November just sucked too, Kurt, can't you tell from my posts?? All those, uh, smallmouth...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 4, 2015December 4th, 2015, 8:33 pm EST
Hey Kurt, every now and then I check to see if I'm closing on you. After the lull I came within about 50 posts, but you'll likely pull away now that you're back and school is in session for me. Dunno if that's worse for me or for you??? :) But welcome back!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 6, 2015December 6th, 2015, 4:44 pm EST
Thanks, buddy... Huge B run steelhead on the Clearwater and numbers on the Grande Ronde. Think we'll both be busy! :)
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 7, 2015December 7th, 2015, 1:52 pm EST
Damn Louis...Spence isn't that far behind, and we all know brevity isn't his middle name...;)

Quick Reply