Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 20, 2010May 20th, 2010, 11:50 am EDT
Whew, the site is back online. My withdrawal symptoms were getting pretty darned painful!
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on May 20, 2010May 20th, 2010, 2:21 pm EDT
I spent quite some time googling "Jason Nueswanger" looking for contact information. You're a popular dude, Jason, but you have no contact info anywhere else...by design I hope.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 20, 2010May 20th, 2010, 7:50 pm EDT
Yeah, sorry about that, guys. There was one minor back-end technical problem, and I asked my web host to take care of it, but the solution required moving the website onto a different host computer and that caused a whole chain of progressively worse problems. I finally sent them an email begging them to just FIX it and I see they did.

I'm currently at an international symposium on salmonid ecology in Luarca, Spain. I gave a presentation yesterday on territoriality in juvenile Chinook salmon, and it went over really well. This symposium has been one of the best experiences of my life, and this beautiful little traditional Spanish port town is amazing, too. But the Internet access is atrocious, and I was hardly even able to correspond with the host, let alone fix the problem myself. I'm glad they finally came through for me; they'll keep my business.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on May 20, 2010May 20th, 2010, 11:11 pm EDT
Oh, the fun of switching servers!! Glad it worked out. Having good, reliable system admins at a host is essential.

Jason, I saw your post on FB. It looks like you are having a great time at the international symposium. Enjoy!

BTW, what exactly is a "trout- and salmon-obsessed scientists"? :)
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on May 21, 2010May 21st, 2010, 1:14 am EDT
Glad things are up and running again. I just spent Wednesday, the 19th, at a salvelinus fontinalis synposium... got an up close and personal view of 32 of them.. not international, but a lot of fun just the same...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on May 21, 2010May 21st, 2010, 3:34 am EDT
Hey Tim! I'm heading up tomorrow and I don't need you educating all the fish...Leave a few for me, eh!!

I know you aren't fishing your old stomping grounds these days so I guess I can rest easy.

It looks like you guys may get a little rain today. For the non-Michiganders we had another scare up near Grayling and they had a couple fires get out of hand. They had actually blocked a road I go down to get to the South Branch...The fire was just down the road from the Mason Tract.

In 2008 we also had one that touched the south side of the town of Grayling and jumped I-75...The big one was at the end of the 80's and for years after you could tell where the fire had been.

If you visit www.gateslodge.com and click on the "Fishing Report" link you can see an Au Sable river boat coming downstream with fire clouds behind it...Scary stuff!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 22, 2010May 22nd, 2010, 12:03 pm EDT
I finally have a decent internet connection! I'm in Stockholm now... seems like a beautiful city. Various website things have been falling apart and I might finally have a bit of time to straighten them out.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on May 22, 2010May 22nd, 2010, 1:55 pm EDT
the ad beside the thread announces "The Big Welcome Back" (for Hyatt) and that's the way I feel! Hooray!

a question: how is it that there are posts dated May 21?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 22, 2010May 22nd, 2010, 2:09 pm EDT
Yes, welcome back to all us Troutnuts!! Hope the get together at the J went well. I had graduation, graduation parties, etc. and couldn't make it. But the weather was perfect for fishing. Let's hear a report or two.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply