Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 11:22 pm EST
Hello, everyone. I've been absent from the board lately both because of a computer crash and because I've been preparing for the International Flytying Symposium this weekend (Nov. 22-23) in Somerset, NJ. I was wondering if any troutnuts are going to be there. If so, please stop by my booth and say hello.

Take care,
Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 3:40 am EST
Shawn, you've just given me the reason i needed to move heaven and earth and see if it's at all possible to get there. congratulations on getting a booth! any of you other troutnuts who live closer--GO SEE Shawn's amazing flies. it will be worth the price of admission, i guarantee you.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 8:35 am EST
Thank you for your flattery, Casey - I hope I don't disappoint. Not to try to tempt you too much (or make it too obvious to everyone that you're a woman!), but I'm hoping to have ready the first of my wearable pieces on display at the show. It's the first of what I hope will be a series of Carrie Stevens necklace pendants. A Gray Ghost, of course.

-Shawn

P.S. Shoot, I just realized that now your husband might not let you go...
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 9:21 am EST
oh, jee...Alec was so impressed by the hooks alone last year, look for both of us!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 11:10 am EST
Hi all,
I found out about the show this weekend.
Since I don't fish for Salmon.....
Is the show worth a 3 1/2 hour drive? I would have to drive down and back in one day (and perhaps take my grandaughter). Is it like the other shows where I can get touchy feely before I buy. I don't like to order from catalogs as you never know about quality, color, and quantity. Are they likley to have bargins there?
Pete
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 11:27 pm EST
Pete -

This show is expressly a tying show, but it is not focused on artistic tying - all types are featured. Approaching tiers and vendors is encouraged, and I'm sure you'd be allowed to handle the flies you were thinking of buying. Not being one to buy finished flies myself, I can only say that there are often excellent deals at shows like this on flytying materials. I only presume that goes for flies as well. There is another Somerset show in January that is a flyFISHING show - much bigger but more guide services and rods and such. The January show is one of many in a circuit of flyfishing shows, one of which probably happens in New England. The unique thing about this weekend's show is that it is specifically a TYING show, and it is at least advertised as the biggest such show in the world (still much smaller than the January show, though). If great tying is up your alley, then try to make it. But if you're just interested in getting a good deal on flies, you might not want to make the drive.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 18, 2008November 18th, 2008, 12:59 am EST
Hi,

From what I understand materials are also sold and you can inspect things such as rooster capes etc. to pick what you want. Correct me Shawn, if I'm wrong; it's been a while since I attended.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 12:36 pm EST
Yeah, definitely, Louis. If I can sneak away from my booth, I have a list of difficult-to-find items I'll be looking for. One great thing about buying materials at a show like this is that you can inspect what you're buying. This is especially important if you need to get the color juuuust right or you want a skin that has a sweet spot in the sizes you tie most.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Nov 21, 2008November 21st, 2008, 1:59 am EST
Thanks for the info. It looks like just what I want (not interested in far far away, and expensive). I have a list of materials I was about to send away for, I'll bring it, and I never buy hackles I can't see.
Thanks again.
Pete

Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!

Quick Reply