Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 14, 2008April 14th, 2008, 1:36 am EDT

http://www.smallparts.com/terms/

They sell small quantities of all sizes of tungsten wire. I'm going to try some and will let folks know how it goes. It's my understanding that it is springy, and will not wrap, so I'll try segments lengthwise on the hook. Could be tricky with scud hooks unless it holds some shape when bent. I just hope wire cutters can cut it, otherwise it'll be me and the hacksaw.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 14, 2008April 14th, 2008, 8:04 am EDT
My apology to those that read my inaccurate post. Rather than revise it I found it easier to delete.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Apr 14, 2008April 14th, 2008, 9:30 am EDT
Fasifly,
So to clarify, the wire specified in the link is what we would be looking for?
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 14, 2008April 14th, 2008, 11:51 am EDT
Jeff- Yes that is correct.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 14, 2008April 14th, 2008, 1:24 pm EDT
It's my understanding that it is springy

I HATE springy wire for flytying. It is always one millisecond of lost tension from turning into a rat's nest. It may be a simple matter of buying the tungsten in a softer temper, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know if it even comes in a softer temper. If not, then good luck with all that, Louis.

I have some stainless steel (for my fly mounts) that I got specifically because it is so springy, and I sure wouldn't want to tie with that stuff. You may be in for a hurting, Louis.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 14, 2008April 14th, 2008, 1:45 pm EDT
It's not completely springy, according to a sales rep I talked with today, but it's not malleable either. He seemed to think I could bend it some, but not wrap it.

--Fred Chappell
Inconnu
Beaumont, Alberta

Inconnu on Sep 6, 2008September 6th, 2008, 1:03 pm EDT
There is soft sheeting that is impregnated with tungsten. I use it on draper hooks but I imagine it could be wrapped on a standard hook shank. Should be available at most fly shops I would think.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/Inconnu_2006/SFN3.jpg
existo bonus ut invicem
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 6, 2008September 6th, 2008, 2:59 pm EDT
Many thanks for the suggestion!

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply