Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 5, 2019March 5th, 2019, 2:09 am EST
Anyone here tie with these hooks? My concern is the wire is a light wire, and bends very easily in my vise under thread pressure. I have tied with Tiemco 100's & 101's, and they too are light, but they seem just a bit stiffer than these Firehole hooks.

Has anyone here had a fish straighten these hooks out ( assuming someone here has fished with them ) or am I being too concerned over nothing?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 5, 2019March 5th, 2019, 1:43 pm EST
I've never heard of them. I typically only use Tiemco 100 for my dry flies. I've never had a fish, even big fish, open the gape of the hook. If the hook is bending in the vise just from thread tension I would venture to say the wire is either very thin or the tempering process was not done correctly.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Mar 5, 2019March 5th, 2019, 10:15 pm EST
Anyone here tie with these hooks? My concern is the wire is a light wire, and bends very easily in my vise under thread pressure. I have tied with Tiemco 100's & 101's, and they too are light, but they seem just a bit stiffer than these Firehole hooks.

Has anyone here had a fish straighten these hooks out ( assuming someone here has fished with them ) or am I being too concerned over nothing?

Sold at J. Stockard. Info and link below >

FIREHOLE

Firehole Outdoors, based in Bozeman, MT, designs and specs their 'sticks' with a slightly heavier gauge high strength carbon steel wire tempered to ensure flexibility and strength. Chemically sharpened, barbless, black nickel finish.

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/firehole-fly-hooks
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 6, 2019March 6th, 2019, 12:21 am EST
I've never heard of them. I typically only use Tiemco 100 for my dry flies. I've never had a fish, even big fish, open the gape of the hook. If the hook is bending in the vise just from thread tension I would venture to say the wire is either very thin or the tempering process was not done correctly.

The Tiemco hooks are what I have been using for years, but I have had multiple issues buying a pack of #14 for example and getting a mixture of 14 & 16, or 14 & 12 in the same package. I have had some Tiemco 100's & 101's bend from fish and snags, but just a handful I'd say. The Tiemco SPBL hooks are fabulous hooks if I may say.

The Firehole are a somewhat new brand Matt. They are getting noticed big time out here in the Western part of the country. Maybe I should just lighten up on my thread tension a bit and see how that goes. Firehole doesn't have a huge selection of hooks as of yet, but I have a feeling they will have more to offer soon enough. I must admit, it is nice getting more hooks in a package and paying the same price for 25 hooks of another brand. I just wish they would make a medium wire dry fly hook.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 6, 2019March 6th, 2019, 6:32 am EST
Bill wrote;

The Tiemco hooks are what I have been using for years, but I have had multiple issues buying a pack of #14 for example and getting a mixture of 14 & 16, or 14 & 12 in the same package.

That may be the result of the seller buying huge quantities of hooks and repackaging them himself. I too have had hooks open up at the bend when I was nymphing with a lighter wire hook but I'd rather that happen then have the tippet break and then lose the fly.

There are quite a few on-line fly tying material sellers who now market a less expensive Japanese hook. The Fly Shop in Redding, CA has their own brand that sell for $2.50/23 & $9.00/100. J.S. Stockard has a shop brand that has varying prices but still less expensive than Tiemco or Daiichi. Their average price for a package of fifty is around $6.00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Iasgair
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 6, 2019March 6th, 2019, 12:12 pm EST
Thanks Matt. Sometimes I wonder if these store brands like J. Stockard, Allen and others are the way to go. You surely get your money's worth that way in quantity.

As for now, and for me, Partridge Patriot Series suits me fine. They have a 2X long dry fly hook that is a fine wire, but their standard dry fly hooks are excellent, as with their wet/nymph hooks too.
Hendo
Hendo's profile picture
Renton, WA

Hendo on Jan 11, 2020January 11th, 2020, 10:10 am EST
Ive used the firehole dry hooks for caddis and have caught fish with them. I just wanted some barbless hooks where I didn't have to crush barbs while tying them up.
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jan 18, 2020January 18th, 2020, 6:26 am EST
hooks $7.50/100 at www.bestvalueflytying.com

Quick Reply