Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

WI_Fisher
WI_Fisher on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 10:41 am EDT
Hey new member here. So I recently splurged a little bit a few days ago and bought a sage 3250 5-6 wt reel and im looking for a good rod to go with it. I mostly fish on a smallish stream for trout and occasionally for panfish and bass. I currently have a redington path with a redington drift reel that I like but wanted to treat myself.
My budget is 350 to 400. Thanks for any help.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 2:00 pm EDT
For $425 dollars I like my new orvis 5wt. recon, but shop around, cast rods at your local flyshop and see what feels good to you.

Mike.
WI_Fisher
WI_Fisher on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 5:33 pm EDT
Two rods that keep jumping out is the Redington vapen and the Redington Hydrogen. Anyone know anything about them? Tried them? I forgot to say that my other rod is a 5wt. Would a 6wt be a bit too much for the #12-#20 flies I use most on the river, or would a 5wt handle the occasional bass fine? The main reason Im looking at Redington is thats what I have. Im going to check a few of the fly shops around me on monday too. Just sorta trying to get peoples opinions of stuff before I go. Thanks
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 28, 2016August 28th, 2016, 4:58 pm EDT
I've used my 5 wt for bass plenty of times, but I don't throw big air resistant flies with it, mostly sliders and wooly buggers for smallmouth. A 6 wt would be fine for flies 12-20 with the right tippet and leader.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WI_Fisher
WI_Fisher on Aug 28, 2016August 28th, 2016, 5:06 pm EDT
Do you think the Hydrogen would be a good choice then? I think thats what im starting to lean towards because then id have two different size rods, the action would be the same as my current rod. Do you think a 5wt or 6wt would be better for what I want to do with it?

WI_Fisher
WI_Fisher on Aug 29, 2016August 29th, 2016, 4:23 am EDT
Does anyone know of any other rods that would fit what I'm looking for? The more I look and read about it it seems like the vapen is going to off the list. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply