Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
First bass of the year!  Lost a nicer one in the backwaters (see below)
Not much going on in this part of the Marsh yet, but nice day!
WHOA!!  Lotta water back here!
I mean a LOT of water!!!
With a little help from...Castor canadensis
This must hold water for a while, there's water lilies in it!  A nice bass hit and detached back in here
Beautiful male pumpkinseed!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 20, 2020May 20th, 2020, 12:02 pm EDT
Well, both our titanic rains and one of Mother Nature's aquatic mammals have been/are re-arranging the topography at the Marsh. I've seen the backwaters flooded but never like this, and a beaver has decided to augment/revise mankind's work to it's own engineering specifications. Well a marauding school of largemouth were cruising those backwaters and a nice one, bigger than in the photo, grabbed it and gave it back...fish that I could see were mostly skittish, until I found a shallow spot with lots of big swirls and then the big pumpkinseed started falling for a #10 Firefly in black and chartreuse. You could see 'em go for it as soon as it hit the water! Saw lots of painted turtles too, a green frog, a few violets and rue anemones flowering, profuse and lovely birdsong at the Marsh, and this morning an eagle soaring high above while standing on my front lawn!

Finally had a nice enough day to get out and do some comfort fishing while our streams are blown to pieces...gonna be pond fishing the next several days, plenty of places to go!

Jonathon

P.S. It's official: we had a 500-year rain event!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 21, 2020May 21st, 2020, 11:58 am EDT
Jonathon, Im sure Clarks Marsh is quite similar to what the south end of Cedar lake was like when I was growing up. You could not access the south end of the lake in a boat unless you got out and drug the boat through the crap. But sunfish and huge bluegills and great largemouth all waited there for us. IN the early 70's dredgeing began and that was the end of some of most beautiful marsh you have ever seen!
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 23, 2020May 23rd, 2020, 7:06 am EDT
Love those Punkinseed, as we call them down South. I've thought they'd make wonderful aquarium fish, if one had a big enough tank. Their colors can easily rival many tropical fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply