Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Posts: 2
Quietone on Aug 27, 2013August 27th, 2013, 8:04 pm EDT
I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a permit to collect insects in general for personal use as a hobby? Here in Illinois doesnt seem like there is one to collect insects at all, and i cant seem to find anyone that knows about it.
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Posts: 920
Crepuscular on Aug 28, 2013August 28th, 2013, 3:57 am EDT
Hello Quietone. I have no idea about Illinois. But here in PA the state Fish and Boat Commission (the agency that issues fishing licenses and boat registrations) requires a permit for collection of aquatic organisms, reptiles, amphibians and electrofishing. So I would start with the analogous agency in Illinois. Or you could contact a university biology department faculty member who works in aquatics and see if they have direction for you.

Good Luck
Posts: 2
Quietone on Aug 28, 2013August 28th, 2013, 7:47 pm EDT
Thanks for the response! I will look into it.

Quick Reply

Related Discussions

Last Reply
Jul 5, 2007
Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy