Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher has attached this picture. The message is below.
White mayfly mousepad
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Sep 1, 2007September 1st, 2007, 4:04 am EDT
I ordered a mousepad from CafePress and had one of my E. leukon photos placed on it. The mousepad's quality is real nice but I was disappointed the photo didn't cover the entire mousepad. The idea is great for real trout/bug nut, I just wish for $10 + $5 shipping the entire pad was covered.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 1, 2007September 1st, 2007, 5:00 am EDT
You have to be careful when you get photos developed that you crop them to the exact size that they will be printed - otherwise, the company printing it has to make its own judgment on the best course (either leave blank space or risk cropping out something the customer wants included). You should have gotten the exact dimensions of the pad ahead of time and cropped your photo to those proportions. A tough lesson to learn, but the pad still looks great - definitely real enough looking to scare the crap out of bug-squeamish people when they reach for your mouse. Nice photo, John.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 1, 2007September 1st, 2007, 1:39 pm EDT
I'm sure you can make it print the entire mousepad. You just have to be careful with the "bleed" sizes on the pictures so you send one large enough that they can print a little off the edges before they cut it. I have to do that with lots of the products in my CafePress store and they come out just fine.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 2, 2007September 2nd, 2007, 6:10 am EDT
Yeah, Jason's right. When I said "crop them to the exact size that they will be printed," that's not really what I meant. I meant the PROPORTIONS in your photo have to be exactly the proportions of the print you want. You should probably not resize the image to the size you want or you'll lose resolution when it's printed (or does CafePress make you resize them, Jason?). And, as Jason said, you always lose a little on the edges when prints are made, but this should be a negligible amount in most cases - the biggest problems would occur if your photo had a thin border around it. Even the best printers and print-cutters need a little leeway to account for tiny shifts in the substrate they're printing on or cutting.

Sorry if my original comments were confusing.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply