Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 16, 2006August 16th, 2006, 4:52 am EDT
Hi everyone,

I know quite a few of my visitors have websites of their own. I get a lot of link trade requests, so I've made it pretty easy to create your own link for my links page.

Link trades:

Just go to http://www.troutnut.com/add-web-link and fill out the form. You'll need to add a link to Troutnut.com for your request to be approved. This is really easy and I've included sample code you can cut and paste onto your page if you want. As long as your website is appropriately related, I'll approve you request quickly.

Affiliate program:

The Troutnut.com Gift Shop is a partnership with CafePress, a terrific company which allows creative people to set up a store selling all kinds of products without being involved in the printing, billing, or shipping process. It's a great way for small-time website owners with any sort of artistic streak to pay their hosting bills.

One of the neat thing it allows is an affiliate program: You can make money just by including a special link to my store! Whenever somebody follows your link and buys a product, you get a cut of the profit. So everybody wins, and it's really easy to set up--just follow these instructions.

All of this should all be pretty automated and straightforward. Feel free to post here if you have any questions!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Pramster
Northern California

Pramster on Nov 20, 2006November 20th, 2006, 2:37 pm EST
Hi Jason, how are you? I am back in Calif. and will be in your area this Spring. Hope to meet you and perhaps talk about the creeks in the area. Will be speaking (knock on wood) to the Viticulture class at Cornell. My two daughters are doing well and I will be visiting them for a week. Hope to also do some fishing in the creeks of the Catskills. Send me an emailsometime. zinwine1@sonic.net Thanks, Hector Bedolla
See you on the water!

Quick Reply