Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jsawatzky has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Jsawatzky
Jsawatzky on Jun 26, 2015June 26th, 2015, 5:18 pm EDT
My husband brought back a bottle of gravel from a river in middle Quartz creek in pitkin Colorado, he had added tap water to the gravel while in pitkin. Well I just noticed these 2 little bug/fish like creatures swimming around in the bottle today( it's been a month since we brought the bottle back and it has been sealed) it is hard to get a good clear picture but we really like to get some sort of idea as to what they are
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jun 26, 2015June 26th, 2015, 5:57 pm EDT
As near as I can tell they are mayfly nymphs. They would appear to be either Siphlonurus or Callibaetis species.

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/8794/Siphlonurus-sp

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/8823/Callibaetis-sp

Hope this helps,

Mark
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 2, 2015July 2nd, 2015, 10:14 pm EDT
Welcome to the forum!

I would go with the former based on the proportions. The length and size of the abdomens together with the crowding of the pronounced gills on the upper segs point to Siphlonurus (Gray Drake). The shorter tails/antennae/legs and wide heads do as well. They look to be fairly immature with some weeks to go before hatching.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 3, 2015July 3rd, 2015, 6:00 am EDT
Yes, young Siphlonurus. I found my first in a ditch in a hay field a good 2 miles from the nearest stream.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 3, 2015July 3rd, 2015, 9:17 pm EDT
Yeah, isn't that amazing? Fishing the upper Williamson in OR a few years ago I was crossing a flooded grassland at least 1/2 mile from the river. My waders were covered with nymphs... Not one however was recovered from my bug nets planted at the stream margins!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jul 5, 2015July 5th, 2015, 2:16 pm EDT
and they (along with corixids) carry on just fine in open sewage ponds. tough buggers :-)

Quick Reply