Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bflat
central wisconsin

Bflat on Apr 16, 2008April 16th, 2008, 4:22 pm EDT
In many years of using cheap reels, I don't think I was ever at a significant disadvantage. I doubt I ever lost a fish because of a reel problem. Now I have high end reels, but only because I enjoy their feel, looks, and sound; and because I can. I'm speaking as an inland trout fisherman. Salt water, musky, etc. probably raise issues I've not needed to consider.
Bob
Bflat
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Apr 17, 2008April 17th, 2008, 2:19 pm EDT
speaking of the "which hand do you reel with" topic Im a little screwed up becuase I cast a fly rod with my right hand, but actually throw a baseball with my left hand so its kind of weird that reeling with my right hand while switching the rod over to my left hand when I hook a fish actually feels more comfortable than keeping the rod in my right hand and reeling with my left, dont ask how this, because I also write with my right hand as well. does anybody else have a weird tendency like this? you would think that someone who's hand that is better at throwing something would be the hand that they use to cast a fly rod, but with me thats not the case, pretty weird?
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Apr 18, 2008April 18th, 2008, 1:56 am EDT
I do everything right handed except hockey... no explanation. also, I do not switch hands to hold my knife when cutting food... fork stays in right, knife in left... who knows
I am haunted by waters
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Apr 20, 2008April 20th, 2008, 6:03 am EDT
Hello everyone. This is my first ever message on a forum anywhere. I do believe that my opinion on the matter comes from my blue collar back ground. I have noticed over the years in all my fishing purchases that you get what you pay for to a certain extent. All reels have two basic funtions to hold line and to retrieve that line. If you have the money for a expensive high quality reel that is machined and has many bells and whistles buy it, that is the "American way". However, if you are fishing small waters like myself and fish come in the 12" to 16" range commonly what does it matter if your fly reel could stop a truck your tippet wouldn't allow it anyway. I really think it boils down to your skill level and the size of fish you are going after. In m experience the $30 Okuma Sierra on my hand-me-downrod does the job just fine haven't lost a fish yet to low cost equipment. I do think that a tight line is more important than brand name cost.

Please inform me if you have first hand knowledge of my ignorance on this topic. I am still a humble beginner and all knowledge serves a purpose.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 20, 2008April 20th, 2008, 7:09 am EDT
Hi Aaron-

Welcome to the world of online forums. Although I agree with most of you points, I would observe that another function of a reel involves its ability to disperse line in a controlled fashion, which can quickly become critical with fast and strong prey.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply