Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 29, 2016June 29th, 2016, 11:57 am EDT
Rogue, I once caught a 15" golden redhorse on a Woolly Bugger with which I was prospecting for trout in the South Branch of the Flint River. Looked for all the world like a skinny carp! I had my line broken three times in that river by fish...at least one of them was a big holdover brown from when it used to be a trout stream. However, there were lots of pike in that system too...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Jun 30, 2016June 30th, 2016, 11:00 am EDT
I second rogues book recommendation. It's a great resource. I picked up a used copy for 5 bucks but I would've paid more for sure
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Jacm
Michigan

Jacm on Jul 9, 2016July 9th, 2016, 2:51 pm EDT
New to this forum, and somewhat new to fly fishing (although a long time fisherman), so this is my first post.

I stopped by the Betsie River at Homestead Dam the day before yesterday and observed a Chinook swimming around in the dam. Then, I noticed a second one start an attempt to ascend the waterfall. Went out today and waded down a ways, to a bend that has a fishing pole rack which is not far from the dam (anyone who has fished the Betsie has probably seen it). There, in a pool, I saw the silvery side of a fish move. I did not see this fish, it could have been anything. Mostly down there I have seen trout/steelhead, salmon, and suckers. If it was a sucker, it was a really big one. I stayed there for about 30 mins and threw a few different wet flies, but did not see much after that. Would have stayed longer except for an errand I had to run...

Not trying to divert this thread's topic, it seems like a suitable place to mention this and to also interject a quick question. My only opportunity to fish the Betsie was about ten years ago for a couple of days. And I am back in the area now, will be staying here for a few months. Today I have been wondering if seeing a few salmon there is normal now and if the salmon run begins this early? I always thought fish started going that far up in the early fall season, at least that is what I have been told.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jul 10, 2016July 10th, 2016, 2:20 am EDT
Jacob,

WELCOME to the forum, and its always good to hear from another Michigander...

To my somewhat limited experience it is not overly unusual to see limited numbers of salmon 'staging' offshore and in the drowned river-mouths this early. I've heard of early 'runners' in the Little Manistee in mid-July which is pretty far ahead of the normal run.

Wisdom and more experience needed here: if the big lake has lower than normal water temps would this trigger salmonids' biological clock to start their spawning run? Or is the occasional lone fish an anomaly?

Anyway, I'm headed north to the Platte and Big Manistee for a couple days, and I'll keep an eye out for early arrivals!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply