Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Rjmarston
Twin cities

Rjmarston on Jun 16, 2012June 16th, 2012, 12:22 pm EDT
So its mid June, and i just built my first fly rod! Im planning a trip over to the rush river in western central WI for early july, and am super excited to start my fly fishing career. Ive done some lake fly fishing and fished some small creeks for panfish but never fished for trout before. Im wondering if anybody knows a good place to start on the river, and a good method to start fishing with! Also if anybody has been there lately and could tell me what sort of nymphs, and dries to bring. Thanks in advance to any and all helpful advice!
forever a rookie, advice is welcome :)
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 19, 2012June 19th, 2012, 7:00 pm EDT
Not my stompin' ground, but I'll wish you well. I remember building my first rod and the delight in fishing it. I think there are some WI guys who post here, and if they find your post, they'll probably have an idea or two. Go get 'em.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy