Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Minnesota
Minnesota's profile picture
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Jan 18, 2007January 18th, 2007, 7:59 pm EST
I see that most of you are from the east coast. Has anyone ever fished in the SE corner of Minnesota, LaCrosse Wi area. I was just curious. If anyone had any need for information on the area, i'd be more than happy to help ya out.
Jason Moe
Upnorth2
Wisconsin

Upnorth2 on Jan 18, 2007January 18th, 2007, 11:52 pm EST
Head to the Wisconsin Fly Fishing Page if I can post this here. Best forum for information like that.
Brntrout
S.E. MN

Brntrout on Feb 25, 2007February 25th, 2007, 11:34 am EST
Better yet go to http://www.mntu.org for real up to date info on fishing S.E.MN streams!
brntrout
Pbaerman
Rochester, Minnesota

Pbaerman on May 4, 2007May 4th, 2007, 6:29 am EDT
Minnesota,

I am new to this site and am a resident of Rochester MN, right in the heart of the SE Minnesota trout world. I am relatively new to the area and have fished, not a ton, sections of the White Water, Root (and its many branches, among other streams in the area. I am origionally from Michigan am trying to adjust to the new Fly Fishing Area. I would love to bounce some info back and forth. Hit me up any time.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply