Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Dec 26, 2008December 26th, 2008, 4:52 am EST
Im going January 4th, to do some work, but will have some time to play. I would like to take my 5wt a ton of streamers, and maybe my waders. I cant seem to find any decent info on fishing the inter coastals or rivers in the area, I'll be in Daytona Beach. Anyone have any info, tips, suggestions. I know this has nothing to do with trout.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 26, 2008December 26th, 2008, 8:24 am EST
send me your e-mail by PM, and i'll forward what i know. there is good fishing not so far from there and some world class guiding. N.B. practice your casting! a lot.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply