Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 2, 2018April 2nd, 2018, 10:24 pm EDT
Yes, I would imagine that pike flies woul have much shorter life spans considering the teeth those suckers have ! Lol
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 4:28 am EDT
Brookies can rip flies up too, especially if they are hitting fast and hard. My favorite little brookie pond (never named on here in public because of security concerns) tears up my grasshopper imitations, and a good day on the Pine will do the same. They got teeth! That's why no one gives them the "bass-lip hold"...Just make sure you have a half-dozen of whatever is working because you will be losing them in one way or another! Learned that lesson too many time myself.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Apr 23, 2018April 23rd, 2018, 8:32 am EDT
These are sweet:
http://www.orvis.com/p/tacky-tube-fly-patch/2JJM?item_code=2JJM0000&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-2JJM-_-127748&gclid=CjwKCAjwiPbWBRBtEiwAJakcpM-wDYRmkjpitb-AnnfhGjTnmUBMJIk3jsaF_en_OhHBZNc2AuTKrRoCLKcQAvD_BwE
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 23, 2018April 23rd, 2018, 1:00 pm EDT
I have had some flies in my dry fly boxes for forty years. Maybe someday I will tie one on.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 24, 2018April 24th, 2018, 10:14 am EDT
Well I seen some of mine in the same trees I left them in for a few years in a row now! But the few that I have saved from the trees last for sometime. That's why I tie my own, tying my own flys have kept me sane this past winter, and while I'm going upnorth this weekend to fish my own flies, I'm not really sure winter is done with us here Mi.
Mike.
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 1:04 am EDT
Well I seen some of mine in the same trees I left them in for a few years in a row now! But the few that I have saved from the trees last for sometime. That's why I tie my own, tying my own flys have kept me sane this past winter, and while I'm going upnorth this weekend to fish my own flies, I'm not really sure winter is done with us here Mi.
Mike.

You're not too far from me Partsman, I'm just North of Lansing.

Last I heard they still have quite a bit of snow up there, that was about a week ago though. I too am thinking of going up next week for the opener. However I'm thinking more of steelhead on the northwest side of state. I'm dying to throw some dries, almost went to Fish Creek yesterday, but I know that story all too well and yard work overcame.
Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 1:42 am EDT
Partsman and Strmanglr - I'm feeling the dry fly itch, but this weather has been crazy. There is a pond that I usually shake the rust off casting to bluegill, but they have been absent thus far.

Trying to decide if I take a trip north for the opener or not.
From Michigan
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 2:02 am EDT
From another Michigander-

I was on the Muskegon this past Sunday and it was HIGH and FAST, 195% of normal CFS for the date. I didn't even try to wade, water color and volume precluded that. I did see sporadic Caddis activity, with some 'dapping' (to drop egg-sacs?)

Size (approx 14-16) and coloration- grey/brown wings- leads me to guess they're early Brachycentrus, the Mother's Day Caddis?

Anyway, I'm ignoring the 'opener' due to crowds and heading out Monday instead, hoping for lower water and less crowding.

tight lines, all,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 3:50 am EDT
REPORT FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY for Michiganders:

Here in Oscoda the very last of our snow is finally melting, and we are finally having nights over freezing (but not by much). Good sign: last night I heard the very first spring peepers and wood frogs calling out of Duell lake, right behind my house. We had a pretty good rain, fairly warm and that helped melt the rest of the ugly white stuff. I'm certain that encouraged the amphibians too...but expect cold and high waters and fairly little insect activity. I walked along the lower Au Sable on Saturday and saw no insect life, but that should be changing here in the next week or so. No steelhead on the beds at Three Pipes either, no disturbances to the gravel. Water wasn't too high and pretty clear, at least there. Have seen plenty of driftboats and a guy pulled out a 16-17" steelie shore-fishing (spawn on the bottom) behind the PNC Bank in Oscoda a week ago, bright silver fish too.

Practically nothing is turning green yet, though again that will change rapidly, along with insect activity. I hear more birds singing all the time. Been seeing deer and turkeys in abundance lately, like 4 or more at a time. Spring is coming, but it's definitely behind schedule. I would skip opener if I were you guys and either go during the week (I know, there's work and life and etc.) or wait a bit longer (and yes I know that's hard right now!). Or, seek smaller secluded waters that tend to clear up quicker (e.g., Rearing Pond Road Bridge at the Pine will be much better than anywhere further downstream - but don't expect to be alone there this weekend!). If you go guys, best of luck. I'm layin' low and waiting a few more days. Be sure to dress warm! And bring plenty of nymphs and streamers...such as:

POG Bugger (POG: peacock, olive, and grizzly)

Hook: Mustad 9672 or equivalent, size 6-12
Thread: black standard
Tail: grizzly marabou dyed olive
Wire: medium green
Body: peacock herl, 4-6 strands wound into a tight chenille-like body
Hackle: natural grizzly, tied in at head, palmered back over herl body, counter-wrapped forward with green wire
Eyes: black beadchain (medium or large) or black-painted dumbells (for deeper waters)

(Eyes can be skipped, substituted by weighting with non-toxic underbody wire or unweighted for shallow waters.)

Have at it, gentlemen, and I wanna see some pics if you get anything (and maybe even if you don't).

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 3:53 am EDT
"I did see sporadic Caddis activity, with some 'dapping' (to drop egg-sacs?)"

Yes, that's what they're doing! It can lead to some very good fishing, too...like last July on Cooke Pond when I saw caddis doing that, and a few big swirls beneath them. Dead-drifting an EHC lead to a 20" smallmouth, my biggest ever. So yes, if you see that, fish it if you can!

Jonathon
Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 4:18 am EDT

Have at it, gentlemen, and I wanna see some pics if you get anything (and maybe even if you don't).

I second that - If I am able to get out, I'll try to post a report. With two little ones in diapers, my fishing has slowed exponentially the last two years. Still occupies a large portion of my brain, however (haha).
From Michigan
Roguerat
Roguerat on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 4:26 am EDT
Jonathon-

Spring is finally here in SW MI, trees budding and Robins all over the place- along with some other birds (see below).

I've been tying Iris Caddis patterns in various sizes and colors, lots of online video to watch and learn from on these. Those and Crippled Caddis patterns will be my 'experimental' flies this Monday just to see what hits...

Wildlife stuff...I pulled into my parking place at my shop (in a VERY urban district) and there was a large Tom Turkey staring at me; this guy was BIG and had his tail spread, the 'beard' hanging down and all, really impressive. He went back to pecking in the dirt and I just chalked up another 'crazy things you see' on the list. Beats the pigeons and crows that are everywhere.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 8:11 am EDT
Rogue, a few years ago I was hiking the trails at Clark's Marsh with my hiking and morel-hunting buddy Tammy. (For some reason, there are a hell of a lot of Tammys around these parts! At some of the parties we have starting calling them Tammy 1, Tammy 2...) We were heading west, back towards my place and out of the Marsh (and actually right into a swamp) when we saw what looked like a human sitting on the last berm/water-control structure. We almost both said out loud, "What's that person doing sitting on the dam? Oh my God, it's a BIRD!" Biggest tom I think I have ever seen, and followed by no fewer than 4 plump hens.

LOTS of turkeys in these parts, unlike when we were children and wild turkeys (and bald eagles, and cougars, and lake trout, and...) were essentially mythical animals. Heck, last year on the job in Midland I spooked a hen off a nest of about a dozen eggs! We moved out of the area pretty quickly and it was a warm sunny day so her eggs wouldn't get too cold, so hopefully no harm came to them. Pretty soon we'll see the toms fanning all over the place, and the ruffed grouse will be drumming too. Bring one hope that the Hennies might soon be hatching...hearing the frogs is a good sign!

Jonathon
Roguerat
Roguerat on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 8:33 am EDT
MI stuff, again (still?)-

Neat to see wildlife out on the trail or on the water, and I know that's a large part of why we do what we do...a deep appreciation for Nature or Creation, whatever one chooses to name it.

The Tammy numbering system reminds me of my first job when we had to resort to Big Ron, Little Ron, and Gonzo Ron (the latter due to his obsession with Ted Nugent and the Double Live Gonzo album which really dates me...1973 or thereabouts)

I just ran across a Blue Ribbon Fly Shop video of a diving Caddis which I intend to try tying tonight in Mother's Day version colors; can't hurt to cover my bases on this fly with dries, emergers, pupa, cripples, and now the diver.

tight lines, again,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 25, 2018April 25th, 2018, 1:52 pm EDT
Roguerat, the Iris Caddis has become a favorite for me. It will catch fish!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 26, 2018April 26th, 2018, 3:42 pm EDT
For those heading north: WATERS ARE HIGH!! Van Etten Creek at F-41 was almost to the top of the banks - and the folks at the Chemical Bank right there should be nervous! I was also told at Wellmans that the Pine at F-41 was one foot below the bridge! The Rifle is likely blown out too...there were standing waves at the mouth of the Au Sable and a strong current coming out of it into Lake Huron this evening. (I was out on the lake with my boss and a coworker trolling for lakers, walleye, etc. when my coworker's girlfriend called to say they had an electrical fire at their house - needless to say we quickly bagged the fishing so nothing caught...Lake Huron was at 40 F.)

Gonna be cold too, highs are predicted to be in the 40s F. Like I said, bring WARM clothing and go as high up the drainages as you can go (tribs maybe). I would say head for a pond or lake, especially if you have a light watercraft (kayak or float tube). Good luck and BE CAREFULL!!!

Jonathon

P.S. We're supposed to have 66 F by Tuesday - think I'll go harass the 'gills and largemouth at Clark's Marsh!
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 27, 2018April 27th, 2018, 5:01 am EDT
Thanks for the report Jonathon. I'm heading up early tomorrow morning, Ive taken a few days off work so I have till Tuesday night to fish. I'm camping out at the campground on that beautiful little river up by you. Will work from there, I hope all you Michigan troutnuts have safe and fruitful opener and season.

Mike.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 27, 2018April 27th, 2018, 5:56 am EDT
Mike, I'll be curious to know how the water conditions are. Way up there where you are going should clear up fairly quickly. Forget going anywhere downstream! Like I said, I might hike out to the bass pond at Clark's Marsh and see if anyone is awake enough there yet to take a fly. [REDACTED] Pond is now open, although it has actually come off the trout list...don't know why. Let me know if you want directions there - shore casting can be done off the dam and another spot up by where the spring-fed creek comes in. That will likely be one of the first spots I hit - though I need to remember to patch a hole in my kayak! Took on an inch or so of water at Reid Lake one day last October, discovered my gear all getting soaked...that was my last fishing trip for 2017.

Best of luck Mike (and everyone) and be safe! Looks like the weather is going to improve with each day, so no hurry to get here. Sunday and Monday don't look bad at all.

Jonathon
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Apr 29, 2018April 29th, 2018, 9:46 am EDT
To the original question, which I'm sure has been covered extensively, it all depends... quality of the tie (mine often get demolished after a few fish sometimes), and the application/fish you're going for. My soft hackles tend to get beat up pretty quick, but my comparaduns and elk/deer hair caddis tend to last quite a while (as long as the trees and brambles don't get them first!). My streamers probably last the longest, but I manly use them for trout and bass.

To my Michigan peeps, I just moved up to the Petoskey area. Working on a farm. I just got back from a couple spots on the Maple, and the levels were really high. I tried the dry/dropper method at each spot to no avail. Was too mucky and high to wade much past the access points, so I basically only fished for about an hour total. Probably should have thrown a bugger or streamer, but I wasn't too concerned with catching anything tbh. I saw some tiny bwos,some relatively large grey caddis laying eggs, and some scuds today. I also saw one sulfur spinner surprisingly (or at least something resembling one). Hoping to get out again in a week or two when things are popping. In the meantime I think I'll try to find a good bluegill or bass pond in the area. This time of year is great for wading on ponds and lake shores because the weeds aren't up yet. Hope everyone is having a great spring so far!
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 29, 2018April 29th, 2018, 2:55 pm EDT
Hey, TimCat, good to hear from you! I was wondering what happened to you - sounds like you made a move in the right direction (i.e. closer to trout waters). Ah yes, the Maple River, my natal trout stream - you know there's a Hex hatch there, right? And if that's not going well - it's spotty, one night the flies will be everywhere and the next several nights gone - there's a good reliable Light Cahill hatch there as well. Gotta wait for the water to go down though...gonna be like that for a little while. I myself may hit the bass pond at Clark's Marsh with flies here in the next day or so, as well as the shooting range, finally warm enough to do that too! And if winds aren't too bad, some kayaking is soon in order, though I have a hole to patch...

Say hi to the Maple next time you are there for me. There is a pretty good Hennie hatch there, so be ready!

Tight lines and warmer weather,

Jonathon

P.S. Get your dark Woolly Buggers out if you go a-ponding, they seem to work well in ponds for me in the early season. That goes for trout too!

Quick Reply