Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jesse has attached this picture. The message is below.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jul 4, 2011July 4th, 2011, 5:04 am EDT
Upon fishing the Delaware for the first time i learned that the trout it holds are very finnicky and tough to catch. But with a little patience and hard work it can be done. The river and its fish are absolutely beautiful and fight like hell. Because of all these ill definitely be coming back soon!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 5, 2011July 5th, 2011, 1:32 pm EDT
Yup. The Big-D is a large, productive, heavily fished, tailwater. Coming with that as a package are trout that can be "selective" at times, but at very least, or maybe more accurately, are approach and presentation sensitive.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 5, 2011July 5th, 2011, 2:03 pm EDT
Jesse,
The stretch you have pictured can be Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy interesting at times, esp if the water is low enough that the guys drifting down the WB can't easily clear the riffle at the 191 bridge.

Was the Bald Eagle hanging around when you were up?
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 5, 2011July 5th, 2011, 6:40 pm EDT
It appears that you are at the head of what regulars call "Lake Lenore". There is a resident bald eagle nest on the left in that stand of trees and some braids upstream from where the picture was taken. Down river, at the tail of Lake Lenore, is a section of riffle water leading into the Stockport water.

This brown was caught near where you took your photo.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply