Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 1:32 am EDT
Every year, I have some flies in my box that need to be discarded, some used a lot and have survived many a Trouts mouth and some not used even once yet still rusted/ fell apart, why?? I guess from putting wet flies back into the box too soon? What I would like to do is put all myflies ties from this year together and keep track of how long they last on average in terms of number of seasons and the same for next years batch to get an idea, anyone have a guess? Thanks
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 2:06 am EDT
Putting flies that are not fully dried back into a box with other flies will likely start to cause rust on the other flies. I never put a wet fly back in boxes where the flies just mingle with other flies. Boxes with little square compartments may be good for bulk storage of larger dry flies but don't put them in wet.

I have a bunch of the newer fly boxes with foam and each row of foam has many micro slits in it. I might not be as careful to put a damp fly into one of these slits because the flies do not touch each other.

Flies will last for decades if they are never used and kept in areas with little humidity and no issues with moths. I have steelhead flies I tied in 1984 that look as good now as they did when I first tied them thirty-four years ago because I've never used them.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 3:15 am EDT
I've heard about rust in fly boxes and being certain not to put wet flies in them.

I've never had a problem though. I dry the flies a little before I put them away, but they're still not dry.

Rust is a cancer that doesn't go away. If there is rust in your box it will grab onto a new fly and turn it.

You might clean your boxes real well or get new ones.
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 4:34 am EDT
Yeah, I would like to wait too but what happens when you’ve used a bunch and are stream side? Gotta our em someplace To get em home
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 4:41 am EDT
Adirman,

Buy one of those ripple foam fly driers with a big safety pin on the back. Pin it to the outside of one of your upper vest pockets and put the flies in it after you change flies. By the time you are ready to leave most will be dry.
Smallflyguy
Smallflyguy on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 4:43 am EDT
Try a drying patch, it works for me. Also available is small packets of a desiccant.
Deception is my art
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 5:35 am EDT
Never used one before but a good idea, how many flies would it hold roughly while drying
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 5:52 am EDT
Most of them are about 2" x 3" and have 4 or 5 rows of ripples. Probably will hold about two dozen smaller flies, #14 - #18 or a dozen bigger dries and nymphs.

Here is an Orvis model. I saw others that are similar for $5.95.

https://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Ripple-Foam-Fly-Patch/dp/B06XVBTSKF
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 10:37 am EDT
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 10:52 am EDT
Cool, thanks for the link 👍😊
Stokes
Columbia county,NY

Stokes on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 12:25 pm EDT
My vest has a "wool" patch,not really wool,synthetic.I just pin the flies there and put em in the box later when dry.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 3:17 pm EDT
The only flies I've ever had rust problems with have been my smallmouth flies which are, of course, larger with a good deal more surface area to hold moisture. I dislike the pin on patches regardless of what they are made of (foam or the older sheepskin patches). I've never liked them. So for my bass flies, I've always carried an old Orvis sheepskin fly wallet where I put all the used flies on a given day. This keeps them from contacting and dampening my other flies. Then, when I get home or to the motel or wherever that night, I upen the wallet and let everything dry overnight and then rebox the now dried out flies in the morning and I'm good to go.

Probably seems like a lot of fussing, but I don't like the patches..
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 4:04 pm EDT
I have one of those C&F foam fly patches with the clear plastic cover. It doesn't work for me so if you want it I'll sell it to you for $6.00 + postage.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 10:22 pm EDT
interesting thread here

I've rarely had hooks show rust since years ago I started using a scrap of chamois to gently dry flies in. No need to really squish the fly, just fold the chamois over it and gently squeeze to draw the water out of it. If I'm done with the fly I'll clip it off the tippet to store on a fleece patch until I get back to camp, home, or a convenient time and place to get the flies back in a box. OR if I want to continue fishing a dry fly I'll add a drop of home-brew floatant (see an older post on Albolene substitutes) and cast away.

tight lines, all,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 12:27 am EDT
Rleep can you take a pic of the sheepskin wallet please?
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 12:30 am EDT
Wbranch, sure send me your address and ill mail you a check if youd like
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 3:51 am EDT

>>Rleep can you take a pic of the sheepskin wallet please?>>

Well, I don't take photos and post them online. Just personal policy...

However, the wallet I use is essentially identical to this one I found on E-Bay. Many years ago as I was shifting career gears, I worked in an Orvis shop and I dug the wallet out of the clearance bin. I gave my boss (who owned the shop) $1.75 for it and bought his lunch (take out chili and a plastic spoon from the restaurant across the highway) and we called it square.

Here it is (You may have to copy/paste the link to make it go live..):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Orvis-Company-8-Fly-Rod-Lures-On-Lambs-Wool-And-How-To-Fish-Instructions/132557520703?hash=item1edd0b3f3f:g:GWsAAOSwgNxakvUW
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 7:43 am EDT
Adirman,

I wasn't sure I could find the fly holder quickly but I go lucky and found it in a few seconds. There are 18 micro slits in each row and there are four rows so theoretically you could put 72 flies in it. I'll mail it in a couple of days. PM sent with my address.
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 1:02 pm EDT
Ok great, thanks Matt
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 2, 2018April 2nd, 2018, 3:09 pm EDT
"How long do flies last?"

Depends on how many teeth are in the mouths of the fish you are catching...and, I suppose how much head cement you applied...mine usually are done when they start coming unraveled. I've heard that pike flies will often last only one fish...

BTW I use a mesh-sided hat when doing most of my fly-fishing (unless it's just too damned cold) and when I snip off a fly I put it in the mesh to dry for the rest of the evening. In fact, they often stay there and I just end up pulling them out of my hat before they ever make it back into the fly box!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply