Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 837

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 838

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 839

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 81

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 82

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 83

By Troutnut on July 14th, 2017
On a hike with my in-laws to the very popular and crowded Grove of the Patriarchs in Mt. Ranier National Park, we followed the trail along the Ohanopecosh River, which is apparently a popular stop for small trout with park visitors. It was hard to pass these pools without a fly rod in hand.

Photos by Troutnut from the Ohanopecosh River in Washington

The Ohanopecosh River in Washington

Comments / replies

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 26, 2017July 26th, 2017, 10:31 am EDT
That aquamarine water, and those PNW conifers for a backdrop...

Just beautiful, Jason. Thanks for posting!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 27, 2017July 27th, 2017, 11:32 am EDT
Yes beautiful looking water Jason, several years ago when my brother and his wife lived in Denver we went hiking in many different areas around there home. Just beautiful looking streams and even a spot where after a long uphill hike we came to a waterfall and pool loaded with trout. There is so much to see in this beautiful country that I hope see some day. But in the mean time please keep the photos coming.
Mike.

Quick Reply