Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 4 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Argia nymph
Argia nymph
Enallagma nymph
Enallagma nymph
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Feb 4, 2017February 4th, 2017, 10:16 am EST
These were found in the Russian River. The Argia nymphs were found under gravel and cobble in glides and the Enallagma was found on vegetation floating under the surface of the water. Both are damselflies when they emerge. Both are about 18 mm in length.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 5, 2017February 5th, 2017, 3:39 am EST
Very nice. Were these in coldwater habitat? Always interesting to find dragons in "odd" places. We have them up here in the mountains -and some large ones- quite a distance from standing water. They are either emerging from tiny headwaters, or can travel some distance. Insects can also be sucked up by updrafts and deposited some distance away, but dragons are strong fliers and some of the ones I see skimming over rocky outcrops seem so out of place.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Feb 5, 2017February 5th, 2017, 4:32 am EST
Paul- Around here 50 degrees is a cold water temperature. The Argia are found at that temperature and warmer ones. The Enallagma generally are found later in the year in warmer water (60-70 degrees). Dragonflies and damselflies generally prefer warmer waters in this area.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 7, 2017February 7th, 2017, 12:35 pm EST
Same here, I think. Dunno where those "mountain dragons" come from. I know just who to ask though. While filming bass for one of my documentary videos I'd run into John Barr (Copper John fame) photographing dragons. He is a dragonfly aficionado and I'm sure we'll cross paths again this summer.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 7, 2017February 7th, 2017, 1:09 pm EST
This past summer while sampling [REDACTED] Pond, on our last Field Biology trip, we caught some beautiful leaf-green dragonfly nymphs while sweeping through some emergent grasses in the shallows. Sadly, as expected, their colors faded in alcohol...they were fairly slender, about 1.5" long, and had a lighter stripe down their sides. Should have taken some kind photo - this year I'll get some when we go there. I had honestly never seen dragonfly nymphs that color before, so used to seeing the dark brown ones from the debris on the bottom, it was a beautiful example of camouflage.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 25, 2017April 25th, 2017, 2:30 pm EDT
Talk of damsels and dragons make me want to share a story. Mark, nice pics as usual, sir!

Paul. I think you will relate to this. Every year my club helps the Boy Scouts earn a merit badge in fly fishing. There are several different stations through out the day. There is a casting lesson. A tying session. Stream etiquette and conservation. Fly fishing knots. Fish cleaning and cooking. And an aquatic insect section that I present.

I usually give them 15-20 minutes inside to cover the things they need to know from their book to get their badge. I then take them outside to a small dock on a lake. I hand them each a small turkey baster. We take a shovel and plop a pile of lake bottom muck and plants on the dock.

I then tell them to nab anything that moves!

I have two white tubs, one I try to keep clean, and one for the critters to go into first. We found crayfish, dragon and damselfly nymphs. A leech. a couple mayflies. Etc...

I have a picture of these boys huddled around the muddy pile on their knees searching for anything that wiggles. I had seven sessions Saturday and every group was the same. These boys were instantly lost to the world around them and were engrossed in the task at hand.

I would nudge a mother and point to the boys and ask them, "Where's the iPhones or video games?" It was great to see. During the last session it had warmed up outside and we were even visited by a couple of water snakes sunning themselves along the edge of the lake.

With me kneeling with them they started to ask questions. Good questions. They were engaged and actually learning something outside and in nature, go figure?! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply